Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 weeks ago

Wells Fargo Scandal?

In 2016 I was trying to apply for a Credit Card since I had just turned 20. I went to Wells Fargo to apply for one. The banker told me that I didn't have a social security on my account which was odd being that my dad had opened an account for me when I was 7 back in 2002. The banker even thought that was strange for me to have not had one present on my account. So basically he asked for me to email him a copy my social, ID & birth cert. Days after I approved for a college card. this is where it becomes confusing. My password for my online banking stopped working 3 months after getting the credit card and I called costumer service and they were confused to informed me that TWO of their customers in LA were using my social and have been. They opened an account with my social right after I turned 18 in 2013.That same day I went to Wells Fargo to give them proof of my identity & MY social and they said that someone had to have removed my Social Security number from my account in order for the couple in LA to have used mine. Its been almost 4 years since then and it is ruining my life. They took my adulthood away from me since the impact they did to my credit score with unpaid mortgage and auto loans. Wells Fargo DELETED all information of that customer tied to my social and denies the letter they gave to me stating the other people who used my social and their information. Even the IRS sent me a letter saying they suspect someone's using my social.  Any advice of what to do? 

Start with the police. Don't be surprised if your extended family was using your credit...

• Asker got a letter from Wells Fargo with the details of the person using his number, also the IRS. For some mysterious reason he failed to either act on these or even keep the notifications. Somehow he has made this Wells Fargo's fault, nuts.

— Report the theft of the Social Security number to the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/uac/Identity-Protection. You can also call 1-800-908-4490. That will prevent tax-fraud thieves from filing tax returns in your name — and collecting your tax refund.

— Report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.idtheft.gov. You can also call 1-877-IDTHEFT.

— File an identity-theft report with your local police. The police report will help clear your records and your name, and the report is necessary to have if you want to apply for a new Social Security number.

— Keep track of, record, report and close all fraudulent accounts by contacting both the companies holding the accounts and the credit-reporting agencies. This will keep your credit as clean as possible. The only way to get a new SSN from the government is to prove without a doubt that someone has used the old number. Records of fraudulent accounts can provide that evidence.

— Report the theft of your Social Security number to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov/. The report will be distributed to the relevant federal, state and local authorities.

The Federal Trade Commission offers a good resource on what to do in case of identity theft at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-...

Whether and how to get a new Social Security number

Many stolen Social Security numbers are used simply to gain employment, with no detrimental effect to the legitimate holders of the SSN. But others are used to defraud banks, retailers, the IRS and other government agencies, which could trash your credit.

MORE: Identity Theft Victim? Here's 6 Things You Need to Do

If several years pass after the theft of your Social Security number, and the problems arising from the theft have not gotten any better, then you may want to apply for a new SSN. But before you take that step, there are several things to consider.

— Getting a new Social Security number is not easy. You have to prove that the theft of your SSN has caused you serious hardship in the form of denied home mortgages, problems with law enforcement or the IRS, or bad credit that can't be cleaned up.

— A new Social Security number doesn't mean the identity-theft problem will go away. The old number will remain valid; you will have to keep monitoring it for future incidents, and government agencies or businesses will still link you to it.

— A new Social Security number will have a completely blank credit history. Getting credit will be difficult for a few years — unless you link it to your old, tainted number.

— It's entirely up to the Social Security Administration to decide whether you can get a new number. If the agency doesn't think you need a new one, you won't get one.

If you do decide to get a new Social Security number, the first step is as easy as filling out a standard SSN application form. You'll enter the old number on it. But be prepared to plead your case, and to have ample documentation to prove it.

Don't forget that the old Social Security number never completely goes away, even if it goes dormant. The Social Security Administration never invalidates an SSN once it's been issued.

Correct SS and request their guidance. Cancel the original SS# and get a new one//

i would talk to the police about all this