Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

moi dix mois pronunciation?

this japanese band with a french name i started listening to called moi dix mois, i dont know how to pronounce the name so please help

• Zirp

If you know how to write it, you can use https://forvo.com

the words moi, dix and mois can be found in French. If you want japanese you have to know how they write it

• John P

"Mwa dee mwa" is close to how it would sound in French. But unless you can get those sounds spoken face-to-face by a good speaker of French you will never know them exactly - those sounds simply do not exist in normal English. The words mean literally "Me ten months".

I trust that the Japanese group get them correct!

As a native French person, I say it like this:

'' Mwa dee mwa ''.. You mustn't pronounce the ' x ' in the word: dix ( in this context) ....

Now if you were saying: '' Pour moi, c'est dix '' = Literally in English: For me it's ten.. So you would pronounce it like that: '' Poor mwa, say deess ''.

Source(s): ◘ For information: Moi dix mois = Me ten months in English ( literally).
  • Pontus

There are three possible pronunciations:

1. How it's pronounced in Japanese: mo-wa-di-su-mo-wa (di - is like dee - but brief, pure, & crisp. All the vowels are brief, pure & crisp). Japanese strictly regulates the syllables allowed. That's the closest you can come in Japanese to the French pronunciation. Each syllable in Japanese gets stressed equally.

2. In English: mwa-deess-mwa.

3. In actual French: mwa-dee-mwa. where each vowel is brief, pure & crisp. Each syllable gets equal stress (unless the last syllable happens to be the last word of a French sentence, in which case it's stressed).

note: dix, in French, by itself, is pronounced: deess. But when it's followed by a word which begins with a consonant sound, the /s/ sound is dropped, becoming: dee.

Source(s): taught French; intermediate Japanese; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQdPXIZJqc ; native English speaker
  • Zac Z

Bubba Gubbins' approximation is sorta ok but not quite.

moi and mois are homophones, but dix doesn't have a long vowel sound.

It's rather like mwa diss mwa. The "a"s are also short, like in bus.

Danny's suggestion is very good: https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=transla...

The pronunciation sounds genuine, just the intonation is a bit unnatural as the several words are most likely stuck together by a computer.

ETA: Good points about the dropped "s" in "dix mois". I wonder, however, given that this is a Japanese band and the name doesn't make any discernible sense to me, whether one would not read this as separate words moi - dix - mois. That's how I interpreted it. ;-)

• Zac Z
      3 weeks agoReport

Is the "i" in dix a long sound when you say it? I've lived in France and nobody says it with a long vowel sound.

mwa dees mwa . Translates to " me ten months"

• Danny

Put it in google translate it'll tell you, may not be the best pronunciation but it will be close.

• Zac Z
      3 weeks agoReport

I think some idiot gave EVERYBODY a thumb down - including you, Catherine, a native speaker who would know how to pronounce the words best. This is Yahoo Answers...