Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 2 months ago

Why don't Americans just switch to the metric syatem, it's much easier?

The U.S. System is a difficult mess. They must be masochists.

Favorite Answer

We switched in 1975. The problem is there's been a lot of heel-dragging and absolutely no enforcement.

We are a lot of people who don't like change....plus we're a bit lazy.

Probably when the UK gets rid of miles.

No i like this system

I agree that it's a mess. I often wonder why they don't switch. Every time I visit there, I get confused. I mean when 30 degrees is forecast for weather, I expect to be able to wear shorts and no shirt. But not in USA.

• David

President Jimmy Carter insisted that the USA would be fully converted to Metric by 1980.  That didn't work out, did it?  Americans HATE Metric!  Granted, there were some inroads, like "2-liter" bottles of soda, Metric measurements in baseball stadiums, etc.; but nobody liked it.  Metric is no longer used in baseball stadiums (i.e., measurements on the outfield fences); and no football fan will ever put up with "Adam Vinatieri is lining up to try a 57-METER field goal!"