Is there a reason why a mother wouldn’t love her daughter?

Yeah. Pride, selfishness, vanity, etc.

A reason? There could be lots of reasons, none of which has to do with the daughter. But a mother not loving her child -- or a father not loving his child -- is really a rare thing.

As an example, my grandfather, if there was any love for my father, anyone would have been hard-pressed to see it. Until the day my brother died. That was the one and only -- ONLY -- time my grandfather showed any fatherly love or concern for my own father. Does that mean grandpa didn't love my dad? No. It's just he was so...stilted and harmed himself that to show love was nearly impossible. He had it, he just did'nt know how to show it or give it.

I could say the exact same thing about my father towards my brother before he died. If my dad loved my brother, the only one who knew it was my dad. Same reasons as above.

People, by and large, cannot give out what they have never received. If the mother in this scenario had a mother and/or father who was very abusive, neglectful, whatever it might have been, then the mother's own demonstration of her parents' love towards her -- from whom she learned to love -- would be severely lacking, and so would her demonstration of love to her own children. Does that make sense?

And then there's the real live question of, just because one *feels* unloved doesn't mean they are. Maybe the daughter, for whatever reason, has all the love of her mother that her mother can pour on her, but for whatever reason, the daughter cannot receive it. People measure love as what they imagine it looks like, not necessarily what it is.

It is very, very, very rare for a parent to feel absolutely nothing for their child. Does it happen? Sure. But not typically. And if there is this case of zero love or affection towards the child, it is not because the child has done something wrong. It is because something very, very, very, very, VERY wrong was done to the parent, either through omission or commission. Something happened to the psyche of that person.

Maybe there's a cold relationship there. Maybe the daughter did something against the mom that the daughter doesn't know the mom knows or vice versa. Maybe there is a great shame that one of them feels that brings separation of the regular, normal "love" that they would otherwise share.

In the end, there can be all kinds of reasons why someone might "feel" that they are not loved, but feelings are not actually facts. Don't assume that one is unloved. Assume that one is loved, just not the way YOU want to receive love. That's totally different. It might not feel different, but it is.

She's probably a jehovah's witness who shuns her daughter for leaving her cult.

Love and reason are poor bedfellows. Reason is of the mind - the intellect. Love is of the heart. Although the state of being "in love" is of the emotions - which are also not rational! Hence your question is difficult to answer. Some people appear to be incapable of Love it seems, which is to their detriment. Possibly through deeply traumatic childhood experiences so it is not a criticism.

• Rayal

There could be many reasons. How can anyone know any specific reason without knowing the people involved?

• Well yes, but rarely for a good reason.

If the mother is Fireball, then that mother only loves one thing.

BOOZE.

Many mothers have no love for their offspring.

They just lay the eggs and go away. They may even eat their young, oblivious to their relationship.

Post partum depression, brain trauma, incompatible reaction to SSRI medication, Alzheimers

• Oh yes it can. Depression can absolutely kill your love for others in the same way it kills your love for your own self.

If her daughter is a real **** that would explain it