Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 4 weeks ago

Do you think Mortuary Science is a good career?

I'm a 33-year-old female and I'm thinking about going to school for Mortuary Science. Most people think Morticians make a lot of money but I saw where this girl said she made about 46K a year.

• Laurie

Most morticians own their own businesses. Therefore, ask yourself whether you would enjoy THAT... buying and equipping a building, deqling with city and state permits, advertising and marketing, bookkeeping and accounting, employing/firing other people (and having to understand employment law in addition to Mortuary-science law, acquiring and maintaining the necessary vehicles, dealing with customers who are not at their best (because they are dealing with grief and family friction), building maintenance and repair...and so on.

If so... go for it; just make sure you take plenty of business courses as well.

If not, be aware that there are fields related to mortuary science where you would be an employee, not so much a business owner. Forensic scientists, positions in the military, coroners that work for city/state/federal government, and so on.

The Dept of Labor publishes information regarding all these different careers, including employment projections (how easy/difficult it will be to find a job), and salary projections. Your librarian can help you find this information. Be sure to research this info FOR THE AREA WHERE YOU PLAN TO LIVE (it makes a difference).

Good luck!

Hard to say. People are getting smarter about how burying people is unsustainable and the costs associated a burial, a casket, and a funeral are astronomical and completely unnecessary. The two things that seem to keep people using non-cremation mortuary services now is for religious appearances and the notion that it is legally necessary (it is not). Maintaining religious appearances is in decline and it seems unlikely to me that the non-cremation aspects of the mortuary industry have a great deal of longevity as it is determined to be cost prohibitive and unsustainable.

• .

It is a dead end job

• It’s a job that’s needed I mean everyone goes eventually? I think you’d make good money and there’d always be work so yeah do it

• Lisa4 weeks agoReport

People think Morticians are rich but they aren't.

People are dying everyday so you’ll never be out of business unless cryofreezing and cremation comes back.

• .

Well, there's always a demand for that sort of thing. The problem is a lot of poor people can't pay and the body is held hostage until payment is rendered!

• TedEx

Put it this way. You won't get rich, but as far as job security is concerned, I cannot think of a more secure job. After all, every person in the United States will be a customer sooner or later

sandsdsaasdasdsad