Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How do I explain to my parents that I have real feelings?

They validate my brothers hurt because he was adopted at birth and has always been sensitive to that original abandonment. They do not validate my pain and consider it ridiculous. This hurts.

My pain comes from being bullied in school, belittled, and therefore very sensitive to family disputes in my mother’s family. I go to great lengths to make up to my mothers family for my parents disagreements with them to the point of obsession. My parents will not validate this pain. But they’re happy to validate my brothers obsession with his birth family.

How do I get them to validate my hurt and pain just as much? It’s just as real.

Favorite Answer

Someone here is being sarcastic, but the fact is that you can't force people to feel anything.

Psychologist Marsha Linehan says that feelings are always valid, but our actions are not always valid.

In cases like this, it's often a matter of the parents being unhappy with the person's behavior. Are your parents upset because you're not being responsible?

stop trying to fix your mom`s family and start standing up for yourself about being bullied by talking to the school and to the police and children and youth services in your area

Force them to care by giving them the puppy eyes.