Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Christians, what would you say after you call atheists fool, but atheist say this Matthew 5:22?

Best Answer

"Fool" in this case means wicked and godless, or more as being beyond Gods help, a big insult in those times.

• Justin
      3 weeks agoReport

Rufus, please stick to celebrity sightings and leave the theology to believers. Calling someone a 'fool' in anger for no reason and someone actually BEING a fool by embracing atheism is NOT the same thing.

Then I would probably ask his pardon and admit that I deserved the rebuke.

Love the easy questions like this.

While the King James Bible uses the word "fool" in Psalms were it says "the fool has said in his heart there is God" and in Matthew 5:22, they are very different words in the original language of the Bible.

Psalms simply refers to a person who is lacking in knowledge or understanding. Matthew uses a term that was a word of utter contempt. It has nothing to do with the concept of being a "fool". That is why most translations use different words in those two verse.

The two verse are about totally different things, so there is no contradiction. It is just your lack of knowledge about the Bible that has you confused to where you would think they are the same. But the...you are an theist so we already know you are confused about religion and the Bible.

You think Christians actually read the Bible, or care about what it says? No, they care about the cherry-picked verses like John 3:16, and that's it.

If that is in fact, true, then someone wants it both ways.

• yesmar

I don't call people names, I grew up.

Source(s): Jesus follower

Why would I waste my time on a fool? Fool?

• David

Christians wouldn't say that to hurt people.The Love shown in the Beatitudes is where we should focus.Now The Word of Gods say's 'A fool has said in his heart there is no God. Yet one isn't suppose to beat people up with that.I think in this day we all need to calm down and seek ways to work together.Especially in this dark age to come.For soon Christians and Atheist will have a common enemy that church in Rome. JBY

Often Christian anti-atheists use the Psalm calling atheists fools as permission to call atheists fools themselves. But it is not permission. Their Gospel of Matthew (making it gospel ;P) removes this permission.

Often these haters of atheists (potential converts) accuse atheists of trying to be their own gods. But someone who disobeys the gospel to NOT call anyone fools but to be kind and well mannered to outsiders (so that they may find salvation) is someone who thinks he is better than his god.

tl/dr: Their god is allowed to say it, but they are not supposed to repeat it. So Bible based Christians who call atheists fools think they are better than God.

• Never seen that argued but that's a good point.

You have just condemned the entire American population.

Whether they are (supposedly) Christian... or not.