Have you ever tried shooting a target ship to shore where it's legal?

Here in South East Alaska as long as your boat's motor is off and the boat is drifting on it's own it's legal to fire towards shore for hunting and target shooting. You can't be near any road, airport, building or towns, cities etc. So locals have learned to hit a target or game animal by taking the wave action into account and learning the pattern for a good shot. VERY few who have no experience can hit with any accuracy. So have you learned how to do this? Or have you tried to do this? Note the area we do this is the Tongass National forest with hundreds of remote wilderness islands but it's also done in other areas of Alaska.

• C T M
    Best Answer

I've never shot in the situation you describe. I have fired at moving targets in an controlled environment though. Difficult especially when there's no discernible pattern to solve.

• Bear Crap
      4 weeks agoReport

I brought this Q up from a shot I made from my boat in 3ft seas at a black bear 60 yards away on the shore with my rifle. My buddies said it was luck but not after I shot 2 deer the same way the next morning. Now I can't do that, out of practice. Oh well.........

Do you ever get tired of the constant bragging by daniel g? First it was a pistol that could shoot around corners it was so accurate and every thing somebody does he is better. Between him and USAFisnumer1

is enough to become a troll, seriously. Why would someone want to be better when people like those two

have made it sickening. I have basically moved to another section.

EDIT: Shooting around corners was just a example not something he said.

Like shooting moving targets, more practice, a harder skill, but get good, even better on land.

Range has a lot to do, 400 yard moving target qualifies military marksman and a good number in that group.

I shoot 5 CM targets at 1000 yards bench, your heartbeat, breathing, coffee jitters really messes with hit or miss. A breeze is the worst to compensate.

I do know in the 48 states, it is illegal to shoot from a vehicle and boats are considered vehicles. I know Alaska has a lot of exceptions

• Richard
      4 weeks agoReport

Evidently it must because that is the law.

• Mr.357

Not me. And the extra characters to make this a valid answer in the bits/bytes of YA.

I tried this while in Sitka. My aim was horrible - and I had no confidence in getting a good second shot off - so I gave up on shooting from the boat.

What I always found totally funny - Sitka Blacktail deer have no fear of anything coming toward them from the water. I have actually nosed my 16' ski-barge up to a deer eating kelp and lightly touched it's leg with the bow. Did not run! Soon as I put one foot on shore - all hell broke lose - all of sudden I was a threat.

• Bear Crap
      4 weeks agoReport

Yep them deer are used to boat traffic and will stand there and stare at you. But I managed to make some good shots after MUCH practice at targets. Can't now it's been too long and I lost that skill.

• Matt

Never tried shooting from the water were waves play into your shot. Would love to try it though!

• Bear Crap
      4 weeks agoReport

@dan nope thats different you are moving up and down in a boat at a moving target. So your shooting bench would have to move like a boat in waves as you fire. Being stationary shooting a moving target is far easier! 

I have not, but it is legal here in Michigan. Growing up surrounded by lakes I did learn to read and time the waves for things other than shooting though. The thing is that the frequency of the wave tends to drop off rather quick so once you have it down you don't want to waste much time since will change soon.

• Torvald4 weeks agoReport

Well here in Michigan and especially in the Southeast of Michigan where I grew up the weather changes in minutes and sometimes seconds. This is very true when it comes to where hard winds come out of.