I am being harrassed by a collection agency to make a large deposit  on my bill as well as monthly payments. ?

Can they force me to make a $1200 deposit  and also make me pay monthly? I am trying to work with them on paying the debt off. I'm on disability & live month to month on $700. I have no savings, no family or resources to draw from. If I agree to a mthky pmt I can afford, why can't they just accept that ?

No. They must allow you to pay the entire thing, in full, immediately. They cannot force you to make monthly payments.

They should not be asking for more money than the agreed upon amount. If they are, tell them you made an agreement with them and you are keeping it, and that is all you can afford. Realize though, the longer it takes you to pay off your debt, the more money you will owe. Interest and penalties are nasty.

There is ONLY one legitimate response to a collection agency.

Until you have a legally binding document that SPELLS OUT the agreement in your hand, there isn't an agreement.

By the way, they NEVER HEARD of whoever you talked to and no one you could have talked to was authorized to make that agreement.

What you can do is DEMAND the address to legally serve then with notice they CANNOT contact you for ANY reason other than informing you they have files a lawsuit. It they do that, you have upgraded to someone with reason to impersonate a human.

• Dan B

Your disability income cannot be garnished. But you have to be proactive to prevent them from taking your money. If you are served with a summons, go to court and answer to it. If you don't, they'll take your money. Bring proof that your income is from disability and is protected from garnishment. That will stop the debt collector in their tracks. You can tell them that your income is from disability and cannot be garnished. That might shut them down or cause them to bring a suit. That's what you want them to do so the court can shut it down legally.

• Jay

Did you SEE the answer that Oklatom posted?

THAT is the correct answer.

If you want to us personal checks...go ahead. You can pay them $25.00 a month. If they return the checks..save them...if they cash the checks keep copies of the cancelled checks.

You can ALSO call the original company that holds the debt and work it out with them. Sometimes they will accept a portion of the original payment and write the rest off. At the very least they may eliminate the interest payment.

If you have a monthly payment you can afford just send that monthly. The collection agency can not force you to do anything but could take you to court for a judge to rule on it.

I had a friend who was sending in a small amount every month, and the agency would write on his money order "not enough" and send it ack. After about three months they took him to court.

The judge asked him if he owed the debt, he answered "Yes your honor, I do." The judge hen asked him why he had not paid. He answered "I have been" and handed the money orders up to the judge.

After looking at them the judge dismissed the case and the debt and has words with the collection agency.

• Tell them to get stuffed.  Tell them the monthly amount you can afford to pay off the debt.  If they won't accept that you'll declare bankruptcy and they won't get a penny.  They are not going to take you to court - it will cost them more than they get.  If they have been harassing you, the Court will order that you pay back $1 a month.

You got into debt now you are paying the price. They can't force you to do anything. However they can insist on their terms being applied. I imagine if you fail to agree a plan your debt will rise with additional fees. Sorry to bear bad news but hopefully you will extricate yourself from your self imposed problem.

They can't force you to do anything. That doesn't stop them from trying to make you believe that they can though.

They have no reason to accept your payment. They can and will sue you...you can file for bankruptcy if you'd like to go that route.

Lets say you loaned someone money...but you don't know this person. Would you expect less than the payment terms you agreed to...? Of course not...so why should they?