Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Am I neglecting my senior cat, by not getting her tested for diabetes, even though she seems fine?

Over a month ago I noticed my senior cat was getting skinny, so I brought her to the vet and he said she seems healthy. But he suggested I had her tested for hyperthyroid. She ended up getting diagnosed with it. Shes been on medication for close to a month. I was talking to someone about this and they asked if they tested her for diabetes. I said they gave her s senior blood panel, and I would think if my vet were worried about diabetes as wells then he would have recommended she were tested for it. I assumed that that would detect diabetes as well but apparently the only way to do that is with a urine sample. I m bringing her in to have her thyroid levels checked ont he second of November. Do you think it would be okay to mention it to my vet then?

No? Unless the person who reccomend the testing was a vet they dont seem to know what they're talking about. You saw a health problem, got the appropriate diagnostic testing done at the vet, and now you're keeping up with treatment. You're a good cat parent!!! If your vet is worried about diabetes they'll suggest the test.

• Maxi

Was the 'someone' a vet? If not then discuss your cats health with your vet and not 'someone'

• Ken S

You would detect diabetes by excessive drinking and peeing along with weight loss no matter how much food is eaten

A senior-bloodwork is pretty comprehensive and any abnormality with blood sugar would have shown up.   Diabetes is generally tested through the blood and if there had been elevated levels of blood glucose the vet would have done a urine sample to confirm.   When you take your cat in for his next check-up just ask the vet if s/he had any concerns with any other aspect of the blood panel.  In cats, as is with people, very, very rarely will you find hypothyroidism and diabetes in the same body.

No, you are not neglecting your senior cat at all.  A neglectful parent wouldn't have acted quickly like you did when you realized your cat was losing weight.

• Nicholas3 weeks agoReport

But figured by than it bould be too late, so I brought her in.

Its not neglect at all since the vet didn't even recommend it you have her tested. You could always ask the vet about it if you want though. Cant hurt.