Why does my internet connection keep disconnecting? Please read details below ?

My first router kept having disconnectivity issues so after 2 months of trying to fix it I decided to buy a new one. I set up the new router but I’m still having disconnectivity issues. What could be the problem? 

For background information my download speed is 200mbs, upload speed is about 35mbs and my latency is 70ms. I also live in Sanger, California 

Could it be the latency? Could it be possible that the game I'm playing cause a spike rise in latency and cause me to lose connection?

Could I still use wifi as my connectivity if I use an ethernet cable to plug into a different device?

• David

You may be getting interference from neighbouring wireless signals.

1)Change the broadcast channel on the router to channel to a less congested one than the current. You can download netstumbler or inssider (google them) and they will display the broadcast channels of any neighbouring wifi networks

2)Turn off any baby alarms cordless phones wireless doorbells as these use the same 2.4Ghz frequency. You can also get interference from electrical equipment fault lights etc

3)Update the firmware of the router and drivers for your PC/laptop

4) If you are at the limits of the range of the router, consider powerline adapters or mesh networking

5)If the disconnection happens on one machine only it may be that a cheap wifi adapter is fitted

HTH

Does the connectivity issue only happen when you're playing this game? If you're just browsing the web does it still happen?

Do you know how to access your routers configuration? Next time it stops working try accessing the routers configuration, without reseting the router first. Goal is to see if the router locked up.

• Alan3 weeks agoReport

Before new router it was both game and pc, after new router it seems to be more of game than pc by a large margin.

I'm assuming this happens on all of the devices that are connected to your network (Wi-Fi and Ethernet), right? If so, then it might be a modem problem. I don't know what ISP you have, but sometimes modems can slow down and/or freeze intermittently. I don't know if you've tried powering off your modem for a few minutes and turn it back on, but that can help.

Unfortunately, troubleshooting these kinds of problems remotely are pretty difficult. It could be a modem problem or it could be a problem between your modem's connection to your ISP's network. I don't know how technical you are, but you can try looking at log files for your router and modem to see if they show any problems.

You can use Wi-Fi on your PC and Ethernet on other devices, if that's what you're asking. However, if you're doing online gaming, I don't recommend Wi-Fi since it is inherently slower than a physical connection. Depending on how far you are from your router and the overall Wi-Fi connection, you might actually get worse network performance on Wi-Fi than Ethernet.

• Alan3 weeks agoReport

Thanks all these comments have been helpful I will look into all of these and hopefully fix the problem