how do you make copies of your cds?

does it all have to be done on a desktop pc with two disc drives in?

i was advised recently on yahoo that if i don't want wear out my precious cds by playing them continuously in a cd system, then to copy them onto a blank disc and use the copies to play instead of the original cds?

compared to others i do not have a massive cd collection, i only have about 25 cds and they are mainly of old artists and groups from way back - ie - iron maiden greatest hits, david bowie singles collection, heart etc...and i don't want to damage those original cds as i bought them sometime in the early 2000's and they can't be got again.....so it would make sense to me to make copies of these cds......but i don't know how you do it.......i'm only a tech beginner, including computers.

so does anyone have any instructions on how i'd go about making copies of these cds? step by step?

also, i have a custom built windows 7 desktop computer, but only one disc drive is working, the blu-ray drive...but the dvd drive will not open, so it needs fixing.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

it is my understanding that a CD is read by LIGHT and not by 'friction" such as one might have with a vinyl record. Therefore, unless the CD is 'rubbing' something inside the reader, there is no wear and as long as you treat y our CD's properly (keep them out of hot sunlight, keep the bottoms from being scratched, etc) then they should last nearly forever....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.