Are both invertebrates and vertebrates equally important to ecosystems?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

They aren't equally important unless you want to argue that being vital, which they are both are in probably every possible example, makes them equal. They are both 100 percent vital to the ecosystem. It makes sense if you think of it like that I suppose. Vertebrates tend to have much more impact on their environment. It wouldn't necessarily be true though.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

important in what way? The question is impossible to answer IMO. I'm sure you are supposed to say yes but it puts a value on something arbitrarily. Equal is an absolute. Mathematically, it means precisely equal. What is equal exactly. It is gibberish in my opinion. We can say they are equal and all sing Kum bai yah but it doesn't mean anything.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes of course. The most important part of an ecosystem is the producers. They are the source of the energy and nutrients for practically all ecosystems.

• 3 weeks ago

Depends on your ecosystem.

For most marine ecosystems, invertebrates are more important -- they're the first order consumers. Since the world is mostly covered with ocean, the invertebrates win.

Your teacher should not have asked this question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, of course. Like nature is in a fine balance.

Humans are the worst of the lot, thinking they know better than nature, or reshaping it to their own suit. A lot of bugs are good bugs, taken for pest, then pesticides come along and kill everything.

There are some few you really don't want to share your cave with, but they all have their place in nature and our ecosystem.

Think about that next time you squish a bug or hose down the environment with poisons.

• Lujk
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

no we all deserve to die

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.