al asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 3 weeks ago

How long can you keep an unopened wine in a kitchen refrigerator? And can you put it back in the cellar afterwards?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

All wines will become essentially undrinkable (by flavor) over time. Some wines will continue to age for a long time but all will hit their peak at some point and degrade. We bought a bunch of bottles of wine with the vintage year of the birth of a child. The plan was to drink one every year until they are gone (roughly coinciding with 21st birthday celebration). Well, they got better and then got worse. Still drinkable at 20 years, but definitely not as good. These were cellar stored.

The coolness of the refrigerator will slow down any aging process good or bad.

• 3 weeks ago

You can keep it in the fridge for as long as you want, you can also put it back in the cellar, or if you like, take it to the zoo, or a ball game.

• 3 weeks ago

Why not? I am told

• CB
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Unopened wine will last indefinitely in the fridge and depending on the type of wine a very long time in the cellar and continue to improve - white wine doesn't age well though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can keep it as long as you like, but once it's exposed to the air it rapidly deteriorates and won't taste the same even next day. I have a Vacuvin which is designed to suck air out of the bottle and slow deterioration down but it really doesn't work too well.

Which is why I prefer wine boxes. The wine is in a plastic bag inside the box which shrinks down as you squirt wine out from the tap, that keeps air out, and it's great for when I only want a glass or so for cooking with.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can keep it as long as you want, and you can put it back in the cellar.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.