Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Will a vet let you know you if your cat is pregnant before going through with spaying procedure?

Or will they just abort the unborn kittens without any mention?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If its not obvious, the vet will just go thru the spaying and remove any fetus that is in her. Once she is open for surgery, vets don't just close it up and hope the cat can have the kittens. It doesn't work that way - even if it did, the chances are the cat will abort the litter or have serious complications trying to give birth.

Just spay the cat - pregnant or not.

• Laura
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

This depends on the vet and what you signed up for when you signed the paperwork.

My vet will do the spay surgery and tell you after the fact that the cat was pregnant. This is part of what you sign up for and say is ok when you sign their paperwork.

Different vets have different policies and paperwork. If this is something that concerns you, ask your vet about their policies and procedures about this.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You can say don't spay if she is pregnant, otherwise the kittens will be aborted.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

They won't know till the cat is open for surgery to remove the uterus - too late to say "don't spay".

• TK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

When they find out the cat is pregnant, her uterus will already be out of her body. What do you suggest, they replace it and call you?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jerry
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

If signs of pregnancy can be seen yes, but if it's too early in the pregnancy to be obvious they might not know. They wouldn't be doing pregnancy tests or ultra sounds the way they would for a human.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If the cat is obviously heavily pregnant prior to the surgery, they are likely to say something, though may make the assumption that the owner is aware. For a cat in the earlier stages of pregnancy that's noticed during the spay procedure when they pull the uterus out to remove it, it's unlikely that a vet is going to stop in the middle of a surgery to try and contact an owner to inform them of a pregnancy, and the vets I know would just proceed with the spay.

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

any ethical vet will certainly mention a pregnancy before proceeding with spaying. I know mine does.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.