Does anybody know anything about this kind of Victorian moon and stars illustration style?

I would like to know about the origins of this style, whether it was originated by one particularly illustrator or school of illustrators, whether it has any symbolism, has a name etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• John

I found the face on Pinterest in a second, mirrored though. It's overlaid onto a doily and the background is classic wallpaper. Definately photoshop. There's a very early movie where a rocket hits the moon in the eye in the last scene - pretty famous but I don't remember the title. Likely not the same moon but almost.

• Tim D
      3 weeks agoReport

Trip to the Moon by Georges Méliès.

1800's version of the moon. This looks like a photoshopped composit though, not all those details would have been on the original.

• Tim D

The Man in the Moon has a long tradition is several cultures. Personally I do not think that this is a single illustration, it looks to me as though it is a, possibly digital, collage of various elements.

It is called vintage moon art.