Having a hard time looking for a job. I took a break?

Ive been into numerous job interviews  accompanied by tons of practical exam for 6 months (im in a creative industry)(im a fresh grad). I know i did great in most of my interviews bc i always get called into final interview compared to others who couldnt. But still cant get hired. Im afraid to fall into depression bc i feel like my effort are wasted, and endless rejection and from the pressure and expectations of my family i feel like a burden at times. I got tired and drained, for attending so many job interviews i was so eager, full of confidence and unstoppable when i started.

But now i decided to take a break from looking for a job to regain my self and confidence that is slowly fading. I dont want to start feeling sorry for myself and fall into depression. Is it all right to take a break looking for a job for the meantime?or am i wasting my time and opportunities? Any advice? 

• Judy

A break of a few days after several months is ok, but not a month-long break, or a week's break every month or two. If you regularly make it to the final round, you're doing a lot right. good luck.

Bad idea... the longer you go without a job the harder it is to get hired.

How will not finding a job help your self esteem? You need to take a job...my guess is your lack of work history is the issue.

Stopping your search for a job isn't a very good way to find one.  

• A.J.

You are probably in a very competitive field, and that was your personal choice. If you think interviews are stressful, you are probably in the wrong field because on-the-job is far more stressful than applications and interviews. Your goal is ONE job, and just because you haven't reached your goal, doesn't mean you failed. It's when you stop looking and "take a break" that you are giving into failure. Motivated people do what it takes to reach a goal and that is who they seek. Maybe also you consider the number of applications and interviews high, but in reality it could take thirty or more on-site interviews as they generally are only choosing one person from many applicants and just to get an on-site interview is a success.

Re-evaluate your life's goals and if you have confidence in them and your ability, then get back out there! If in assessment you truly believe you don't have what it takes, find a related job and settle for less and plan to live a more conservative lifestyle in amentities.

Too much time after graduation without an activity that is filling it is a negative indication to employers. You should not have gaps unless there is something special about that time. "Recuperation from interviewing" is a lame excuse.

• Alex

Until you find that dream job, swallow your pride and lower your standards.  Take any job you can get (retail, fast food, general labor, etc.) just so you have income coming in.  It can even be part-time.  Just ANYTHING.

Also, make sure you're applying with staffing agencies.  Many companies only fill their entry level jobs through agences, so they are a great place to start.  Just stay away from the ones that expect you to pay a fee.

An added benefit of using an agency is you have someone who can give you resume and interviewing tips specific to the companies you are applying for, and also give possible feedback after the interviews as to why you're not being selected.  This part only works if you're open to constructive criticism and not have a tendency to argue with people when they tell you what you did wrong.

• Tasm

Maybe you should start working for yourself.