How do I obtain a second license plate in Texas?

I purchased a new vehicle from Carvana in April and just found out apparently a front and rear license plate is required in the state of Texas. How would I go about to obtain the second plate?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Go down to the office of the Department of Public Safety in your county of residence in Texas that registers cars (the office of the County Tax Assessor/Collector), and tell them that you've lost one license plate off your car. They will cancel your old plate numbers, and issue you a new set of plates with an entirely different plate number. Throw the old, remaining plate in the trash, and put the new plates on your car.

The office will probably charge you a small fee for re-registering the new set of plates and issuing the new plates.

• g
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Really?  6 months later you are just now noticing?  Your bad.

It's time to make and appointment at the TX DMV for replacement.  Ya reckon?  Geez.  

• 4 weeks ago

Go to the Texas Department of Public Safety, pay the fee.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You just found out? After how many years of driving in Texas?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

You can't get a second matching plate. You go to the DMV and they will issue you a new set of 2 plates.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

When you properly title and register the vehicle you will get a set of plates for the car.

• 4 weeks ago

You will probably have to get a new set of 2 plates with a new number. If you are a member of AAA go there; otherwise, go to the DMV.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

AAA can't register a car or issue license plates. License plates must be issued by the DMV in your state and county of residence.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.