Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 3 weeks ago

Can you hunt baby deer?

They are smaller and more tender than a full grown deer, so would a fawn taste better and would be the better choice to shoot? They are small enough you could probably hunt them with a pellet rifle or a .22.

• abdul
    1 week ago

No, that's against the law, like most of your other "hunting" questions. Actual hunters follow the rules in order to preserve the species they hunt. We don't hunt does, we don't hunt fawns and we hunt in season, taking legal size bucks. Your questions are not really about hunting at all. They are all about poaching.

• Robin

your obviously not an ethical hunter

A fawn is very tender and tastes like a young cow "Baby beef" . I like it much better than a Bald Eagle or Owl.

If the Eagle lives around salt water it has a fishy taste and I really don't like it. It is better than nothing when

hungry. My very best wildlife is a bear cub. Now that is some fine eating. A glass of red wine and a baked potato along with the bear roast is hard to beat. If available young asparagus is a great addition. Don't forget

a mixed greens salad.

What if that fawn you killed would of been a 10 point buck when it grows up? It's a waste of meat and life. It doesn't help with making the population stable either if everyone did that then soon enough there would be a crippling drop in the population and hunting deer would be illegal or deer license prices would go sky high or they might even go extinct if people continued to still do it.

That is not hunting,,that is just killing animals.

Western states to my know, a fawn is still game animal and illegal to hunt with any rimfire or smaller caliber pellet rifle.

Maybe when you grow up, have hunter and gun safety under your belt, get a .240 mag or larger, get your tags and do some real hunting.

• Mr.357

There is NO size limit on deer but it is illegal to use a rim fire for deer hunting the state that I live in.

By the time hunting season rolls around all the babies are young adults.

Back in the early 90's I got a call from Alaska State Troopers - a 18 wheeler had hit several caribou and wanted to know If could drive the 90 miles salvage the meat. It was two adult cows hit in the head and the driver had finished off two young with a pistol. Those young ones? OMG was that tender - like veil. I put two rear quarters on the grill and slow cooked them - nothing left.

A few years ago we had antlerless moose seasons - the idea was to drop the number of moose in the area to stop all the moose vs car accidents. I spotted a young one that was recently hit and the driver did not finish the poor thing off - so I did. Talk about tender. The shame of it - that was a year F&G wanted folks to bring in the front 6" of the lower jaw - me - I brought in the whole thing. A few months later I was at F&G and asked about it - one of the biologist came out and told me how happy they were to have the whole jaw. It was the largest on record - probably would have grown into an amazing trophy bull if the first driver had missed it.

No you can only hunt anonymous trolls

• Gerald

some of them have guns now its the 2nd amendment or something the right to defend yourself or something like that, they can blow your head off from a mile away good int it makes it more sporting

• daniel g
      3 weeks agoReport

That is the kangaroos in Australia shooting back at poachers.