I'm terrified all day and have nightmares every night. ?

It start a few weeks ago and usually last a few days and then goes away for a bit. Through the day I'm terrified, like the feeling when you're a kid scared of the dark, but all the time even when it's light. I used to love being home alone but during these few days I don't want my family to leave even for a little bit cause I get scared. At night I have horrible dreams, I think the fear causes the dreams and the dreams make the fear worse. This hadn't happened to me for a while, I was doing great and then suddenly yesterday I got a bit scared again and last night I kept having horrible dreams and then waking up over and over, today the images of the dreams and the feelings I was feeling in the dreams are stuck with me. I'm terrified and nervous. I usually go up the hill to distract myself when something is wrong but I spent the whole time looking around, as if someone was gonna kill me and went home early cause I was too scared. Cause of the fear, I also have trouble sleeping which makes everything worse. It'll probably pass in a few days but I really hate it and was wondering if anyone knows why it's happening and what to do about it? 

For example, anxiety and depression can cause adult nightmares. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) also commonly causes people to experience chronic, recurrent nightmares. Nightmares in adults can be caused by certain sleep disorders. These include sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome.