Laptop motherboard question after replacing the screen........?

I recently replaced the screen on this laptop and due to not paying attention (and beers), I accidentally did it while the laptop's power cord was attached to the laptop.....

At first I did not realize the power cord was plugged in and when connecting the screen to the cord attached to the motherboard and I seen little sparks when making the connection........

Now my laptop is completely dead and there is no power at all (even when plugged in)....  There is a little power indicator light that comes on when the power cord is attached even if the laptop is off and now that doesn't even come on.....

Was wondering if an experienced/knowledgeable individual can tell me what is most likely the issue based on what I posted....  I am a newbie PC Tech.........

Will vote for best answer......

Best Answer

Pretty obvious that you shorted something and most likely blew one or more chips.  It's possible you blow out the power supply brick, but most likely it is something on the mainboard, probably related to power regulation.

You can measure the voltage from your power brick and see if that is still working and inspect the main board on the off chance there is a replaceable fuse that blew.Also, your battery should have also been removed when you tried to make this fix.  If it is still in the laptop, then remove it as well and see if that works on the off chance that it was damaged.

I'd bet a small amount of $ that your laptop is now toast.

• Ivanex

well, I dont know what laptop is that, but I know there is a 45-50 volts pin for the leds (if a remember correctly), and i hope that didnt go the wrong direction

you should start checking the basis: 3.3 v (its always on), the main power rail -20 v-, and then - if those are fine- check 5v, 12v, 1.75v, etc

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• When you aren't knowledgeable about an issue, the best response is none at all opposed to an empty minded one........

Laugh at the fact that you aren't skilled enough to answer....  Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

• Dave

More then likely you have fried your laptop. Time to get a new one.

Congratulations. You now own an expensive boat anchor. Sounds like you shorted out the system and most likely damaged one or more chips on the board and probably the power supply.

As we have no way of knowing if it did other damage, there is no way of knowing without having a pro look at it if it is repairable. But odds are the price to repair it is going to be in the same ballpark (or more) then the price to replace it with a new laptop.