Should i be further along in my career at this point, and should i stay/leave my current job?

I have a 4 year BSBA degree with an accounting concentration, and graduated 5.5 years ago. My current job is with a small company where payables are my priority duty with some assistance with some journal entries, bank recs, and other various things on an as needed basis. Also do the sales and use tax returns. It’s a rather small company, and lately haven’t been happy with the protocol of how things are done or lack thereof rather. Aside from me, my whole office is mostly in their 50s and 60s. It’s frustrating that we have a system that allows for electronic documents, yet we’re still going basically full on with paper invoices. We pay a ton of contractors which makes it a pain filing them and makes it more difficult to find. My Boss who’s a good employee, can be frustrating sometimes as he seems to be a bit too laid back in regards to executive decision making. There’s some other things i can go on about, but i’ve been here nearly a year and think it could hurt me to try and leave as i have a shaky work history as it is, it’s littered with temp jobs, and short 1-2 year stints as billing/accounts payable. I feel I should at this point be a legitimate staff accountant/financial analyst or something along those lines.

• Alex
    Best Answer

Every year when you get your performance review, you should be privately reviewing how well your employer is meeting your career goals (financial growth, professional growth, etc.).  If you find yourself stagnating, start making inquiries with your leadership team as to how you can advance.  If that is unsuccessful, start planning to fire your employer by looking for a new job.  

Fbnfnfbf n jj n n

You sound like you are ready for a higher level position. I suggest you look for a job to apply as a manager some place. If not another job similar to yours, but to your liking. Maybe with more pay and is more modern.

Otherwise see about management positions.

How long have you been in this particular job? If anything less than 2 years with your admittedly shaky job history, you'd be damaging future employment opportunities...

• If you are unhappy and looking for a different challenge then moving on is probably the best idea. Don't expect things there to change.

Do you think i should try to move on then?

You should be a manager by now. If not, you are doing something wrong.