Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

My great grandfather fought in World War II for the USA. How do I find out if he killed people in the war?

If he killed people, even bad guys like the Nazis, then I’m afraid to include pictures of him in the family tree.

Best Answer

First of all, you have to find out what unit or units your relative served in. Then, you should find out where his unit served. Also, find out what duties your relative was assigned to. If you can discover all that, you stand a good chance of getting more details about your relative's activities during the war.

• Killmouseky
      1 month agoReport

Not necessary to know specific units, although the unit history may have some data if he did anything exceptional. Only a small number of soldiers were actually in combat units. An average WWII U.S. infantry division had 14,500 men. Of these, only about 3300 were combat troops.

I would lean on the idea that it is very likely that he did...

'...a great deal of killing happens in a war...'

If he was a medic that might make having not killed anyone more feasible.

Eh.

I'm not hardcore about stuff but if a dude was in a war... knowing that some were drafted and had to serve even if they didn't want to... to me survival instincts (as well as just doing their assigned) job were what they were doing.

Perhaps you could ask grandpa about any stories... or dad.

Most soldiers did not kill anybody.

You're a ******* moron. It's people like him that made this country free.

• Sharon

I had a gggg grandfather fight in the Revolution in Massachusetts. Should I hope he never killed one of the King's marauding troops or a Hessian? I also had one who fought Napoleon's invasion of his home. I should feel shame? Your attitude seems to suggest pro-Nazi sympathies if you object to your ancestor's efforts for America.

What a ridiculous thought process.

Wonderful answer, Millenial. You're going to ostracize members of your family because they had principles to protect the very freedom that you obviously loathe. I think he'd be better off not being included in a family tree that lists only cowards.

• ◄♦►
      4 weeks agoReport

to attack. In both cases, the attacks were engineered by the Allies and made to look like it was the fault of Germany and Japan respectively.

• Brian

Eyeroll. With that kind of logic, your GGF would likely prefer to be left off your family tree.

Way to respect your ancestors, write them out of history.

My best friends grand father went door to door as Berlin fell during WW2. He was tasked to round up any Nazi officers in hiding - found one - and did a shoot out. Killed the Nazi. You should be proud of what you grandpa did. If it were not for people like him - you would be speaking German today - and nearly anyone of color - Black, Brown, Asians, Chinese, or LGBT would have been exterminated same as the Nazi started with the Jews...… except if they won - the job would have been finished with Billions dead instead of millions.

You should be proud of him.

• Langdan4 weeks agoReport

Celtic people and Slavic people would have been killed by Germanic males also not just non-Europeans.

• Robin

he is your family member and if he hadnt defended your country maybe you wouldnt exist