How would you handle kids breaking toys out of anger?

I've heard of children doing this because they're angry and don't know how to cope and so they take their anger out on their own belongings. As for the question, well I would teach them better ways to cope with their anger besides breaking things such as hitting a pillow or channeling their anger through sports or exercise in general. So what would you do if your children did this?

Distraction is key. And just speak in a calm way to her or him and ask what is happening and what their feeling etc.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201508/te...

this is a good article: Teaching Children Self Control

Is she spending too much time on the internet or smartphone ? ....if so. .., try limiting the time or even disallowing all privileges until she becomes better behaved .

• Candi

I would put on funny show like spongebob

• Tomalochk
      4 weeks agoReport

But if this toddler doesn't like SpongeBob it might continue the rampage and break even more stuff .

First I would take time to get very familiar with "PARENTING WITH LOVE AND LOGIC" https://www.youtube.com/user/LoveandLogic1

I bought the book when it was released for sale to public. This was a God Sent.

Now we are very satisfied with results for 3 generations.

• Suzy Q

I threw away the broken toy, and emptied out his room before sending him to bed, so there was no more stuff to break.

Don't get me wrong, we do help him learn alternative ways to deal with anger. How he can concentrate on calming his breathing or count to 50 or walk away and run a few laps in the backyard. But once he's at the stage of breaking his own toys in anger, he is past all that. That's when he just needs to cool down on his own in a room where he can't do too much damage. 

• Charlie4 weeks agoReport

Well to be honest what I meant by 'work' was basically teaching him that it's ok to feel angry sometimes but It's not ok to deal with anger by breaking things which honestly that does sound like this taught him that It's wrong to break things.

I would probably take the toy away from them and let them cry it out while making sure you are there for them and loving them. Let them calm down (regardless of how long it takes, but they'll calm eventually) and then give the toy back when they have calmed down.