Mentally ill in the military?

I asked how could I contribute and received kind response I could join USO or American Red Cross. 

But what I want to know today is why are mentally ill people DQd, do the military consider mentally ill a "danger" or far from that it's because of dependency on meds. 

God Bless our boys! :) and veterans too! :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Being in the military is extremely stressful. No matter what branch you join or what your MOS/Rate/AFSC is. Not only is it physically demanding it is mentally demanding. After 200 plus years of having a military in the United States. It is very clear who can and cannot handle the physical aspects and the mental aspects of performing such a stressful job. While some people with mental health issues are completely able to function normally. Many others are not. It costs a huge amount of money to recruit and train a new member of the military. For the most part it is not physically or fiscally possible to recruit mentally ill people

• 4 weeks ago

seldom unless I bring it up,are these reasons from you dudes who want to serve under the existing duress of brain misfires,

battle stress training exertions,,sleep deprivation,some hunger,the sarge hollering at your *** all thewhile,,service is hard enough for the real fit & tough,,,all must go through the same processes,,add to the menu of difficulties,, vaccinations,a lot of them depending on where you deploy,,each goddamn time you get sent to a different area,tropic middle east,eastern block.mediterranean, exposure to gases cooties like malaria,parasites,fungii,poison plants,typhus,typhoid,,,,exposure to petrochemicals,insecticides,diesel smoke,gasoline,gases from explosives,kerosene,,under all this stress,guess who is still hollering atya? sarge,,thass who. you drop a packet of your last meds in the water 3 kliks back.what you took earlier wears off in 4 hours..you know you are going to get wacky around 2300hrs,24 hours no stopping no nap,no sack time

hard training is like the above,,you can bet your game console the real thing is ten times worse...your bros out there depend on you With their lives,,likewise,,someone screws up,a bro goes home in a body bag & toetag..sorry ma I let him down.

join red cross,help vets in other ways,visit guys who get zero visitors not a phone call,or a card from anyone for years,some will have a neat lil desk they keep clean with a cloth on it,pics of the wife they never hear from,the bro,they dust it off themselves,,put a couple flowers in a vase,,still they show loyalty to the folks back home

might be a better more effective way for you to help them

• 4 weeks ago

Training soldiers costs a lot of money.

So why would they waste this money on people who are more likely to not only not serve full careers, but who are also more likely to cost more in special medical treatment?

This is like asking why they don't bother to spend millions training someone with cerebral palsy.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Both dangerous to those around them and the military doesn't have time for those that can't take care of themselves.

And now you're showing your obsessive-compulsive disorder by asking basically the same question 3 times in 2 days.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Don’t shoot me ......

• 4 weeks ago

You probably need to take a psychological test, so that'll tell you if you can join or not.

• 4 weeks ago

Any condition that requires drugs to control is disqualifying as there are generally no drug stores in war zones. When a military member would most need a medication it would not be available.

Mental illness can be a danger, however the dependency on meds really ends the possibility. Diabetics also can't join, again because they are dependent on meds that may not be available when most needed.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Most are rejected because the military itself is not a parent, they can't have a person who controls you are taking your meds or going to the psychaitrist, I don't think they consider every mentally ill person as a danger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.