Should I get a DSLR for photography (i'm currently using a Galaxy A50 for photography)?

I want to know if a DSLR would be worth the price if i'm a intermediate photographer

• joedlh
    Best Answer

Cell phone cameras are quite capable today. And they do one thing that dedicated high end cameras don't do: computational photography. One of the aspects of computational photography is to make cell phone photos look like they were taken on cameras with larger sensors and optics.

Let me ask you this: how is your cell phone camera limiting your photography? If you can give a specific, detailed answer to this question, then you probably could benefit from a high end point and shoot, mirrorless, or SLR camera. However, in 99% of the cases where a budding photographer feels the need to "take it to the next level", their real problem is a skill set that needs improving. Buying a more capable camera is not going to address that problem. Taking a class, reading up, or picking the brains of an experienced photographer would be a better approach. An unskilled photographer who takes only snapshots will still only get snapshots if they buy a $60,000 Hasselblad.

If you are truly interested in photography and you are willing to put in the time and effort required to learn, definitely go for a beginner's DSLR like the Canon EOS 250D or a mirrorless camera like the EOS M50.

Only buy a DSLR if you're serious about photography .

A cell phone can NOT replace a DSLR ...

• keerok

If you're getting great shots with you're phone already, why switch?

DSLRs are cumbersome for taking selfies.

DSLRs have a steep learning curve.

DSLRs don't automatically make you a good photographer.

You can actually use both at the same time, I do it all the time. You can't put a 600mm lens on a cell phone, you can't do much in the way of telephoto work at all. I'll take a shot of my wife or I or both of us out on a birding expedition to post on social media, but no cell phone made can get you close to said birds. Use each for what it is good for... cell phones are great for taking shots to be posted immediately. My Nikon can be tied to my phone and do the same thing (more or less, more work involved) but unless I want to show something I took with the DSLR because the cell phone just can't take the same type of photo, I just use the phone.

A real issue for cell phones versus DSLR-type cameras is low-light or flash work. The little blinky light on a cell phone is nothing like a real flash, even the pop-up version built into most cameras. My phone is comparatively good at lower light stuff (Galaxy Note 8) but can't hold a candle to my D7500 (pun intended) for the same work. It is better though, than my Sony A65 for non-flash work. Sony never really got a handle on low light noise in their DSLR bodies. Not an issue with the mirrorless bodies.

• Frank

Like a jackhammer, screwdriver or chef's knife, a camera is simply just a tool. If the camera within your smartphone is allowing you to meet or exceed your photographic needs, then there's no reason to upgrade to something that will do things even better. However, you may find that using a camera like a DSLR or mirrorless allows you to go leaps and bounds beyond the typical snapshot capabilities of a smartphone.

People often say that the image quality of their phone is fine. And if that's you then good. However, there's a lot more to a camera system than just image quality. What most non-photographers fail to consider are the technical and artistic capabilities of the camera. For example, with a smartphone, you do not have the range in aperture and shutter speeds that you have with a DSLR. Nor do you have the ability to change focal lengths; you're stuck with the wide-angle lens with all smartphones with the exception of the new iPhone 11 which has three cameras built into it.

Should you upgrade to a "real" camera with interchangeable lenses, far better focusing, many more options in choosing an aperture and/or shutter speed along with various other technical capabilities? Well, maybe. It really depends upon what your needs and desires are. If, for example, you want to shoot in low-light situations hand held without a tripod, then a camera with some kind of stabilization system will be a massive upgrade for you. If you want to control the look of the image by, say, using a faster or very, very slow shutter speed, then you'll benefit from a DSLR or mirrorless camera. If you want to use a longer focal length than the 28mm lens in smartphones to avoid the distortion that makes people look ugly (http://www.stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdisto... then an upgrade is for you. If you want to go beyond the mindless snapshot and make photographs with intent, then a DSLR or mirrorless is for you. If you want to be able to make prints larger than 8x10, then a DSLR or mirrorless is for you. If you typically shoot at high ISO settings and want little to no noise, then a DSLR/mirrorless is for you.

A camera is a tool, and like any other tool, there's a right one and a wrong one for any given task. You don't mention anything about what you want to photograph, so it's simply not possible to say whether or not you should upgrade. Simply stating that you currently shoot with a smartphone with a $5 camera module doesn't provide enough information to determine if a DSLR will be "worth it" for you. You may find carrying around a heavier and bulky DSLR too much of a sacrifice, but then again, you may find that the massive improvement in technical and artistic capabilities along with a huge increase in image quality more than worth the expense and inconvenience.

For me, I almost never take photos with my smartphone preferring to use my DSLR. But that's just me.

• Sky

Yes. If you want to step up your photography you should definitely start using a real camera rather than just a phone. It doesn't necessarily have to be a DSLR, however. Mirrorless cameras are quickly growing in popularity and abilities and are overtaking the DSLR market. If budget is a concern there are a lot of non-DSLR options to go with, too. For example, I have both the Canon 60D DSLR and the Canon Powershot S5IS, a single lens point & shoot from 2007, and I can get great shots with either one. The key is knowing how to compose a great shot, as well as understanding the camera's abilities and settings and knowing how to use them. A buddy of mine has the Powershot SX10IS which is the next one in line after the S5IS; while it has about the same image quality, the S5IS can take a barrel adapter over the lens to hold filters and add-on lenses while the SX10IS does not have that ability.

Also note that those Powershots have a 1/2.5" sensor size, which will not have as good of a low light capability as a DSLR or mirrorless with an APS-C or full frame sensor size. Bigger sensors always have better low light capability and greater ISO range than a small sensor.

By saying you're an intermediate photographer I'm going to assume you already know all about aperture, ISO, the exposure triangle, what f stops are, and what the different modes on a camera are, but if any of that is unfamiliar to you (particularly if you've only ever used a cell phone for photography) then I highly recommend you start watching instructional videos on youtube about it. If a photographer doesn't know how to take a good picture, they could have the best camera in the world and still take crappy photos. Years ago when I had my S5IS, despite it being a good camera I just didn't know what all that stuff was. So I started watching a ton of videos about camera settings as well as how to compose good shots, and that improved my photos tremendously. Upgrading to a DSLR only gave me a higher megapixel count, better ISO and low light capabilities, and the ability to change lenses. In addition to instructional videos there are tons of camera and lens reviews. I'll list some channels below.

So yes, I do recommend getting a DSLR or mirrorless (which will both have many lenses to choose from) especially if you're going to be taking photos for others, or a good quality point & shoot if your photos are just going to be for you. Every camera brand or model within a brand will have its pros and cons. I've always been a Canon shooter (mainly because I can install custom firmware to hack the camera a little bit) but I watch photographers who love shooting with Nikon, and Sony has been a rising star in the mirrorless department that photographers are loving. Lenses can come from those brands as well, or you can find great lenses from third party makers like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina (always watch review videos before buying; you can also rent lenses and cameras to try them out before you buy). And you don't have to buy the latest and greatest; older camera bodies can still take great photos, and a lens that took beautiful photos 20 years ago will be able to take beautiful photos today, so check out the used gear market. And when it comes to camera accessories like filters, flash adapters, cables, battery grips, etc., I've found cheap third party items to be just fine.

Last bit of advice because this is getting long. Whatever camera you go with, don't buy a camera that doesn't have the ability to save RAW files. Those are the digital equivalent of a film negative, which contains all of the sensor data and gives you far greater ability to edit and tweak the final image. JPEG files are the equivalent of a photo print, throwing out data that the compression algorithm thinks is unnecessary and hindering or eliminating your ability to bring back details in dark shadows or blown out highlights. You'll need photo editing software to work with raw files, and while there are several pieces of free software out there for editing raw files, Adobe Lightroom is just plain easiest to use.

Adorama--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Pksdbj37CdE00km... (tons of tutorials and gear reviews)

Imre Balint--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6UEXwWzOrhKK3f9z... (great instructional videos, but he's been inactive for years)

Jared Polin (Fro Knows Photo)--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZG-C5esGZyVfxO2q... (thousands of instructional, gear review, and photo editing videos; the older ones are more instructional)

Kai Wong--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCknMR7NOY6ZKcVbyz... (primarily gear reviews)

Karl Taylor--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZajtzLoD3nxn2G9r... (major pro photographer, for more advanced photograph)

Thomas Heaton--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhW84xfA6gEc4hDK... (pro landscape photographer, great videos)

Tony Northrup--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p... (tons of tutorials and gear reviews)

SLR Lounge--https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTSgfO_OkfRX8dm4Y... (photography tutorials, but I really haven't watched much content yet)

Source(s): amateur photographer, always trying to get better
  • Cei

I had the same dilemma about a year ago.

I ended up getting a mirrorless camera (after talking to an assistant in a camera shop)

They do just about everything a DSLR will do, you can get a range of different lenses, you can use them in full automatic mode, half auto half manual or fully manual.

I ended up with the Olympus OMD - I really like it.