Is it true that you don't have to observe something/subject to reach a valid deductive conclusion about it?

Here's an old one

1, All men are mortal

2. Socrates is a man

3. Therefore Socrates is mortal.

You have never observe Socrates, so how can you say anything about him, and reach a deductive conclusion about him?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Observations must be made if one is to come to valid conclusions. In Socrates's time, observations were made; those observations led men to believe that premises 1. and 2. were valid. No, you can't observe all men, and no, you can't observe Socrates, but only if you have reason to believe that the first two premises are invalid do you have reason to doubt that Socrates was mortal.

• 4 weeks ago

Confirmation bias at work :)

*I believe he died, that's confirmation indeed! ) lol

• small
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Logic does not lead us to the Truth itself..... it simply moves us closer to it.

• 1 month ago

OK the sky is blue

but I have seen it but it's a gray day.

I want to say that what we see is a reaction.

Socrates is a reaction that we have assimilated as a man

or conditioned as a man

It is necessary to observe why the reaction is not always the same.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If a fact is "given" then you are relived of having to separately verify it. We are told that Soc is a man, so we "know" that. Also that all men are mortal. So yes, it is a valid deduction that he is therefore mortal. In real life, it may be a good idea to verify that a "given" is in fact true, but for the purposes of logic, if it's "given" then it's true.

• 1 month ago

Well, you can use the same line of though concerning Jesus Christ. Apostle Peter said it best at 1 Peter 1:8 - "Though you never saw him, you love him. Though you do not see him now, yet you exercise faith in him and are greatly rejoicing with an indescribable and glorious joy,"

• 1 month ago

Okay, so do you really have to watch someone burning alive to know that it is painful? Also, if you touch a stove you don't even have to look while you do it and you'd know it hurts. Also, how do blind people deduce things? Deduction does not require sight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.