Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 4 weeks ago

Extinction Rebellion's protests cost £37m: Why did the government think paying this was better than ignoring our climate crisis?

Think how many wind turbines we could have had instead

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Because they're corrupted by the fossil fuel industry but they'll soon know about it when the next protest costs £100m and wipes out the police budget for a year.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Is anyone taken in by this? Cheesy McPeasy asks and answers his own question.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Because they're corrupted by the fossil fuel industry but they'll soon know about it when the next protest costs £100m and wipes out the police budget for a year.

• 4 weeks ago

There is no climate crisis today to ignore, the last climate crisis if indeed it was a crisis was the little ice age that lasted to the mid 19th century and even that wasn't as severe as it is so often made out to be.

Rejoice in the fact that the climate is as stable as can be expected for a warm blue planet that can accommodate such an abundance of water as the Earth does in its three states, as a solid (Ice), as a Liquid (Water) and as a Gas (Water Vapour).

As for the £37m bill, that's the price of freedom, I don't agree with their protests especially their methods of protest, but I do agree with their right to protest as long as they remain within the law whilst doing so.

• Jacks Ans
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

OK, have it your way. but be warned, any expert who claims that the debate surrounding man made climate change is settled, is no expert. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

poeple have the right to protest, if the government and the police had broken the protests up with force it would have been unjust and could have lead to numerous legal challenges which would have cost much more. Has for blaming the government for the climate crisis you are very much blaming the wrong government, The UK has a very good track record on climate change issues, other countries, like china the USA Brazil India and many others dont. I suggest that all those spoiled middle class gits who brought misery to millions ought to take them selves off to anyone of the countries i mentioned and protest there, and see what happens to them..

• Is everyone gone crazy! the government does not have a good record in dealing with this as I have pointed out

• Biff
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The UK government is doing more than most governments to cut greenhouse gas emissions. The Extinction Rebellion protestors should have been allowed just a one day protest on a Saturday or Sunday which is what most protestors find enough to make their point. They should take their protest to countries that are dragging their heels, Poland with its dirty coal for example.

• The planet doesn't care about more than most, it's not going to pat us on the head and just burn China, and we're not doing more than most as I pointed out, they're lying to us which is why the protests are necessary 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

They should make those arrested foot the bill not the tax payers.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Extinction Rebellion's protests cost £37m: and they are a load of idiots forcing the government to waste money. What good do they think they can do by climbing on top of an aircraft or a train or gluing themselves to a public building or even blocking off a complete city centre. If they used a bit of common sense and went about things the right way, the government wouldn't have to waste money on policing them etc.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

As you say Extinction Rebellion 'protests' wasted £37m of taxpayers money that could have gone towards helping to address the Climate Crisis. The Government had no option but to police the event since XR chose to disrupt services and endanger the public. All in all it has been a massive 'Own Goal' conducted by Ego Warriors who are self-confessed hypocrites.

• No I'm saying the government has, they had no choice but to protest and gave them significant warning 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

They are not ignoring climate change. They have already targeted zero emissions by 2050. NO other country has gone that far.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.