Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 4 weeks ago

I need my car back from my mom, but she won’t give it up. How do I get it back from her?

Back in high school, my mom and I got into a minor car accident, but we both suffered injuries. Anyway, since I suffered more injuries than her, the other person’s insurance company gave me a bigger check. So my mom and I put together our checks and bought myself a car. *The car is in her name because I was a minor then* 

My mom has a ‘98 limited edition Cadillac Deville, which she totaled about a week ago. Since the car is old, the insurance company is only going to give her what the car is worth now ($1,900), despite the low mileage on the car (31,000). *The car was deemed totaled because the air bags went off*. Anyway, I let my mom use my car to get to work, (I’m in college) and she won’t give it back. She thinks she can buy her car back, but it’s totaled, so there’s no point. I suggested to her that she buy a used car with the $1,900, but she won’t do it. I know it’s a hard pill to swallow, but what’s going to happen is, the car company is going to fix up her car, and resell, whether she likes it or not. 

• Niko
    Best Answer

As already mentioned, it's not your car. It's your mom's car and you need to accept that. Buy your own car if you need one.

GM is not going to fix her car and resell it. It's going to the junk yard if it's not already there.

The insurance company isn't going to fix the 21 year old car, they're going to junk it.

Your mistake was giving her your payout money. The car she bought is hers. You have no legal claim to it, and just because some money that came to you was used to buy it, that doesn't matter one bit.

Let's review some facts here. It's NOT your car. Your mom NEEDS a car since her's is totaled. The insurance company is NOT going to repair the car and resell it (it'll be junked). The cost to repair the totaled car (even if she would buy it back) would FAR EXCEED its value. $1900 will NOT buy a decent used car for your mom.

Bottom line is that you'll let your mom continue to drive HER CAR and you'll find a way to get yourself another car ON YOUR OWN instead of coming across as a selfish little snit.

Say "Mom, can I have your car?" If she says no, you know where you are.

• Scott

Well guess what - it's not "your" car if it's in her name. It's her car, and she'll give it back to you when she's ready to. It doesn't matter who paid for it.

Her name is on the title so it's her car.