Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 4 weeks ago

Are my files gone?

To start off with, I had a Compaq Presario 5000 with Windows XP and a 20GB Maxter Hard Drive since 2001. I have very important data on that hard drive that I’ve been trying to get off. Last night, I plugged in the drive to my XPS 630i with Windows 7. It showed up on the drive directory and I was able to go in and look at the files. The next time I started it up, I let it run a disk check and I just kept getting lines that said “Record Boot Segment XXXX is unreadable”. Now I restarted the computer and if I even try to boot off that drive, it says “a disk error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+delete” and whenever I go into Windows 7, it says “you must format this drive in order to use it” and if I hit cancel, it says “Windows can’t access this drive because it’s not a format it supports” or something like that. Are all my files gone? These pictures mean a lot to me. Are they still retrievable?

Hi. There are several available utilities to try to recover the files & partition data, You can also try using a bootable linux CD, but the best option is to try to get a copy of the "Hiren's Boot CD" that has some very good utilities for drive fixes & data recovery.

Meantime, there are some good utilities here also - www.pendriveapps.com that can also help You recover the files.

G'Luck!!!

Win7 will read an older disc like that, but disc check will turn up errors it will try to fix.

Formatting, and any data is history.

The data is still there just Win7 chkdsc has corrupted the file tables and file records, (fat32 vs NTFS)

A savy tech can recover the lost data unless written over or reformatted.

You are at a point of anything you do, may make things worse.

Get in the habit of doing backups of all data.

Something I could do, even have the tools, but had years of such things.

• David

The files will be gone to the average user such as yourself, as the files are important send the drive to data recovery professionals, if you attempt any form of recovery yourself you will undoubtedly make the chances of a successful recovery worse

To be honest this was an accident waiting to happen, trusting your data on an 18 year old drive is just crazy, all hard drives fail sooner or later, the trick is have a suitable backup.

formatting the drive will make you lose all your content. Buy another hard drive and have it installed. Then when you copy and paste your files over. when it does cooperate, you can try sending the files over to the new drive using data recovery software like something from Passmark. you have a bad drive so your files are half gone... if that makes sense.

You can take a shot at trying in the safe mode

• Frank

Give your drive to a professional. It will cost you.