Could "Something" mean "Nothing"?

Ex: "I don't want "something" to calm me down" = "i don't want "nothing" to calm me down"

• John P
    Best Answer

In good standard English it would be wrong to say "I don't want nothing to calm me down" because it is a 'double negative' disliked by language purists - you should say "I don't want something to calm me down". But the variant of saying "I don't want nothing to calm me down" is fairly widely used in some parts of the English-speaking world.

I think it's "I don't want anything", not "I don't want nothing".

• ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

When your special someone says nothing is wrong.....be wary.

something is wrong something is true hoever you fell something is bestone for yourself if think you a lot something is felling happiness why is it nothing

more say like you.

They mean the same thing, if it is just something do not bother, for the sake of preserving the dignity.

• Linda

Not usually. For instance, I have something to tell you versus I have nothing to tell you which means two different things.

Both are wrong. You mean: I don't want anything to calm me down.

In your example you can say 'I don't want something to calm me down' or you can say 'I don't want anything to calm me down' or 'I want nothing to calm me down'.

But you can't say 'I don't want nothing to calm me down' as this is a double negative.

• David

No because it's 'something or nothing'