Could "Something" mean "Nothing"?

Update:

Ex: "I don't want "something" to calm me down" = "i don't want "nothing" to calm me down"

17 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

In good standard English it would be wrong to say "I don't want nothing to calm me down" because it is a 'double negative' disliked by language purists - you should say "I don't want something to calm me down". But the variant of saying "I don't want nothing to calm me down" is fairly widely used in some parts of the English-speaking world.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I think it's "I don't want anything", not "I don't want nothing".

• ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

• 4 weeks ago

When your special someone says nothing is wrong.....be wary.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

something is wrong something is true hoever you fell something is bestone for yourself if think you a lot something is felling happiness why is it nothing

more say like you.

• 1 month ago

They mean the same thing, if it is just something do not bother, for the sake of preserving the dignity.

• Linda
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Not usually. For instance, I have something to tell you versus I have nothing to tell you which means two different things.

• 1 month ago

Both are wrong. You mean: I don't want anything to calm me down.

• 1 month ago

In your example you can say 'I don't want something to calm me down' or you can say 'I don't want anything to calm me down' or 'I want nothing to calm me down'.

But you can't say 'I don't want nothing to calm me down' as this is a double negative.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No because it's 'something or nothing'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.