Jack asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Can I move my 8 year old cat to a new house when he just moved a year ago? ?

My girlfriend is going to move into a house with a roommate. She currently lives at home with her 8 year old male cat. Both her and her roommate plan on moving out for a year on their gap year and then move to another house for university at the end of the year, but she didn't want to take her cat with her despite the fact she'd the only one who properly looks after him. She saw that moving house can be stressful on cats and believes it would be worse on him because she thinks he's older and she doesn't want to move him again at the end of the year when he accepts his new flat

Last night, her mum told her that she doesn't want to look after the cat and will give him away when she leaves. This will completely ruin her as she's very close to him and already has issues with her mental health. She said she won't talk to her mum again if she takes him away and I fully believe her. 

If we find out she can take him, everyone involved will benefit :) 

Of course you can.

• Maxi

As long as the cats space is set up along with all/any bed, litter tray, toys and the routine of feeding etc is continued most cats won't care...most cats don't like the actual travelling and will meow loudly while traveling......... BUT your gf best check that she is allowed to have a pet in the properties she is moving to as many landlords will not allow pets

yes of course! I moved my 16 yo cat twice in a year, she was OK with it.