Hi I'm looking for a good book on chess for beginners?

I'm looking to learn how to play chess to exercise the mind. I figured apps will help and playing with others but in addition maybe reading a book about chess would be pretty educational maybe because I like books. Any suggestions of pretty well written books about learning chess?

• 2 days ago

The Game of Chess by Tarrasch is a great first book. Also Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess (by Bobby Fischer and Stuart Margulies) And “Logical Chess: Move by Move” by Irving Chernev are three excellent first Chess Books. 

I think the best book to explain tactics and combinations to beginners is Winning Chess by Chernev and Reinfeld. Despite the generic title, it concentrates only on this aspect of the game, nothing about openings, positional play, or endings, but when I was a beginner it was the first book that explained to me all those mysterious moves that win material when opponent has not made an obvious blunder.

I, my self am looking for a good book. Not for the basics. Not too complicated that would put me to sleep.

Logical Chess: Move by Move (by Irving Chernev) is probably the best one I've read. It's perfect for players who want a complete explanation of why strong chess players make the moves they choose. 

Chess Made Easy by Purdy & Koshnitsky. is good one to start you on the correct track.

I highly recommend 'Ninja, Get Good' after Tyler Blevins