Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 3 weeks ago

What do people think about age of consent laws?

Like in Australia, it's 16. But in America, some states have it set at 18.

People in America would see Australians as sick f*cks but the Aussies would see no problem with it.

It's a interesting but weird morality situation.  A 16 year old girl would be underage in (some of) America, so anyone chasing her would be deemed a sicko.

Personally, I'm finding it hard to grasp. Hard to know who is the sicko in this situation and thinking about what would people even deem taboo if law didn't exist.

What is everyone's view on this? Are Aussie men chasing 16 year old girls sicko just for not living in America. And do you think if the age of consent was suddenly 16 in each state in America, every guy would start chasing 16 year olds and stop seeing it as a taboo or wrong?

Sorry the text is all over the place.

• Foofa

Only 11 of the 50 US states have age of consent set at 18. In the rest of the country it's 16 or 17. So we don't look at Australia (or our neighbors to the north and south that have AC laws under 18) as "sick f*cks". When I could take an hour's flight to Phoenix and have my fill of 16 year-olds I don't really consider Australia's laws to be all that bizarre.

Obviously these answers indicate that laws should be changed so as to be consistent all over the world.

Most US states do have 16 as the age of consent and not 18. And it makes sense. If you are old enough to drive and work you’re old enough to have sex.

I think they are not based on science. Sexuality is both physical and psychological. Physically speaking, a female is safe to be penetrated when she experiences her first period, which happens between the age of 8 and 12. So, physically speaking, a female can have a safe sex at 8 years old. So, 14 years old, which is the age of consent in many European countries, is well over the safety age.

Now, psychologically speaking, it all depends on the person. Some females are mentally ready to have sex even at 10, some aren't ready until at least 15 or 16 years of age.

Girls usually mature faster than boys. I would say the average age at which girls start having sex is around 15, which means they probably started feeling the urge at least 1 or 2 years prior to that, and were physically ready at least 5 years before that.

Consensual laws are pointless, because if the girl is not physically ready to have sex, she would not feel any urge to do it, or have a desire to do it, and if she is physically ready and want to do it, laws are not going to stop her.

• Zirp

In the "west", they are an attempt to protect those who aren't ready for sex

• susan

You think laws are why people consider certain relationships taboo, but I think it is the other way around. The laws were passed to discourage people from what was already considered taboo by the majority. But what is taboo can differ from one culture to another. And yes, different states in the US do have different cultures.

• Cogito

I don't believe that anyone would think of any person as a "sicko" or a "sick f*ck" for finding a 16-year-old attractive! Many 16 and 17 year olds look very adult and you'd never know their real age.

If the law of your country says you can't have sex with someone until they're 18, obviously it would be illegal to do so, but it doesn't mean that anyone dating or just finding they're attracted to a person who is 16 or 17 is a paedophile!

Many young people actually like the fact that it would be illegal to have intimate relations with them until a certain age, as it gives them a valid reason to say "no" if they're being pressurised or find it hard to be assertive.

This applies just as much to boys as girls, by the way.

• 18 year olds are not adults. Nor are 19 or 20 year olds. They literally are not different in the slightest from 16 or 17 mentally or physically.

• Teva

I live in the uk where the age of consent is 16, and trust me, men don't generally go running round after 16 year old girls.

The lowest age of consent in Europe is 14, in Austria. In other countries it's lower. Japan is 13 for example, in the Philippines it's 12, and in Angola it's 11.

• Teva
      3 weeks agoReport

Many European countries have in recent times raised the age to 16. In Spain for example, it was 13 until quite recently.

The most common age of consent around the world is 16. The lowest is Nigeria where it is 11 and the highest is 21 in Bahrain. There are plenty of countries where 12, 13, 14 and 15 year olds are above the age of consent. Many Islamic countries have no age of consent, the only requirement is that the couple be married. It is illegal to have sex if you are not married.43 countries, including some States in the USA, have an age of consent of 18 or higher.

These are the kind of logical arguments that the far left will one day conflate with redefining perversion and lead to the legalization of pedophilia.  Mark my words, pedophiles will be free to ruin children's lives in our life time.

In any event, as a 37 year old man, the thought of dating someone under 30 is extremely creepy to me.  I see older men with young women and I find it revolting and sad.  But perhaps I am in the minority.

• Damiyon3 weeks agoReport

Especially when it's between two consenting adults, no matter how big the age gap is, there shouldn't be a problem. It's not always anyone taking advantage either.