Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

which languages are similar to english?

so i want to learn another language but i dont know which one i want to learn yet. im bilingual in english and japanese and i want to learn a new language.  which ones are similar to english?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Rain
    Lv 7
    7 days ago

The closest language to English is Scots. Scots is the Germanic language.

• Pontus
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

One measure of similarity is the level of difficulty. For an English speaker who speaks only English, per the American Foreign Service Institute, (see link below), all level I languages are among the easiest natural languages. Those include:

1. most other Germanic languages (but there are ones in levels II & IV, because they are more inflected):

a. Frisian, Scots evolved from the same sub-branch as English, but a very long time ago. Frisian is more inflected than English. Some people consider Scots to be a dialect of English, with a low level of mutual comprehensibility. Do not confuse the Germanic Scots with the Celtic Scottish Gaelic or with Scottish English (an English dialect with a high level of mutual intelligibility).

b. Dutch & Afrikaans (also West Germanic languages like English, Scots, & Frisian). Afrikaans evolved from Dutch. Afrikaans and English are least inflected of all the Germanic languages.

c. Norwegian, Danish, Swedish - all North Germanic languages. All more inflected than English & Afrikaans but comparable to the other languages in a&b.

2. all the Romance languages (descended from Latin. "of Rome", and not "romantic"). The five major ones are French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, & Romanian. All moderately inflected. There are many minor ones as well, such Catalan, Romansh, Occitan... Although these are more distantly related to English, English borrowed a ton of vocabulary from Old French and from Latin. All the Romance languages get the majority of their vocabularies from Latin.

English has no sister languages (except perhaps Scots), The other Germanic languages are cousin languages (including ones in more difficult levels). Other Indo-European language are distant cousins (including the Romance languages).

However, similarity of grammar (which can be independent of how related the languages are) and direct borrowing can affect the level of difficulty. So, it's false to assume that all Germanic languages are easier for English speakers or that Romance languages would be more difficult than Germanic ones.

Source(s): https://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/ ; taught French; intermediate Italian, German, & Japanese; studied linguistics; read a ton of articles on many languages, including all the ones in my answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Scots, Frisian, Afrikaans, Dutch

but the easiest one (with over a million speakers) is Esperanto

• 3 weeks ago

The closest is the (Lowland) Scots language, but some consider it not a separate language but a dialect of English. Next closest is Afrikaans, followed by Dutch.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Swedish is the closest to English as it can be. also it has almost no exclusions from rules, so it is easy to learn

• Don Verto
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Swedish is more different than German or Dutch from English.

• 3 weeks ago

The language closest to English is Dutch which is another Germanic language.

• 3 weeks ago

English is one of the most widely spoken language in the world, but there are no languages which are similar to each other in the world. 

The majority of the languages which are similar to English are Western European languages and include Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, German, Danish, Dutch, Afrikaans, Swedish, and Norwegian

• Zac Z
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

And obviously, Afrikaans is not a Western European language. It's spoken in South Africa!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.