Reset Windows 10 "Remove Everything"?

Does it also remove all of the files from my 2nd drive (D:) I'm using an SSD for my OS (C:), and my 2nd one for my files such as games. It is both on a different storage and not partitioned. Just curious as I need to reset my laptop to its factory defaults like everything, but need to keep my D: drive untouched. "Keep files" doesn't do it's job that well. Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Any data on your boot drive should be backed up then you could even re-install Win 10 if you have a boot/install disk.

ALL programs and apps will be history until re-installed.

Your D drive or beyond should not be effected at all.

Access privileges might change, an easy fix though.

• 1 month ago

anything and everything will be uninstalled and placed in windows.old in drive c D will be erased too.

• 1 month ago

Generally, the reset should only affect the main drive the machine came with. You might lose access to the files on the other drive due to missing permissions however than can be overcome easily. Rather make a backup of the drives to an external HDD to be safe.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Before you reset, take off the second hard disk, just to be on the safe side.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Edward
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

it only removes files from the harddrive windows is installed on.

• 1 month ago

You would only lose your personal data etc., programs and so on on the drive on which Windows 10 is installed. So the C drive in your case would be swept clean and Windows reinstalled, the D drive left untouched.

• 1 month ago

I think it removes everything it could so like a new person could use it.

• 1 month ago

It doesn't really, a geek can get your old files, once on the hard drive they can be recovered. If you are selling the computer I recommend a shredding programme that finds deleted files and corrupts them, even though they will always be there they are redacted so even if a geek brings them back they won't be viewable. If you are throwing the computer away just smash the hard drive with a hammer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.