How to clean rusty cast iron skillet?

• KLB

use a scouring pad or wire brush to remove rust. Season properly (catch this on a youtube video - seasoning cast iron)

I replaced all my cast iron with enamel coated cast iron for cooking, and I couldn't be happier!

A sandblast is best, but a wire brushing with vinegar or phosphoric acid will suffice.

• dish washing liqaud

I don't know. That's the truth, Lol

If it is really heavy duty rust.  It is cheaper to toss it and buy a new one.  It will cost more to clean it than to buy another cast iron one. Then regular use with cooking oil like pancakes or bacon& eggs and it will never get rusty again and YES you can wash out the inside of the frying pan.  You will never get out all the oil...that fast.

buy a non stick pan stupid

Source(s): walmart

I had a few nasty cast iron skillets. I put them in the oven on the oven's self-clean setting and they turned out good. The bad news is that it takes a few hours for that setting to complete.

• babycakes3 weeks agoReport

This really does work. I brought my husband’s grandmother’s 100 year old skillet back to life this way.

I would scour away the rust with steel wool, wipe it clean with very hot water and a paper towel, then "season" the skillet by coating the inside with vegetable oil or even Crisco, and heating it gently.

Bicarbonate of soda, put directly on dry, and rubbed off, takes the rust away and you can use the skillet again. After cooking, rub vegetable oil on, and leave, and you wont have the rust problem again.

Steel wood pad and some baking soda or salt paste.

• Tess7 days agoReport

really work appreciated thank you:)