Water going cold?

So the last two nights my water has been noticeably less hot. Usually my water is like HOT hot. But yesterday it was a little less and today it was like... Luke warm at best. I know it’s been getting colder here lately but I live in an apartment and I’ve been here for 4 years and I’ve never had anything like pipes freezing before. I’ve also had my elements go out before and every time it happens it seems the water just completely stops heating up immediately. So does anyone know why my water could be getting slowly colder each night?

Analyze what you have done recently. Any new plumbing done anywhere? Maybe the LL was doing some plumbing repair in a unit and HOOKED UP THE HOT WATER TO THE COLD WATER SUPPLY WHEN HE REMOVED A SINK. hE forgot about that connection(which is a no no) as now all the hot water is getting cooled by the cold water in a loop. So you have to ask the LL if he has been doing some plumbing recently. That join up point is the problem.. Hot must remain hot and is capped or a tap on the end....and cold must remain cold and it is capped or tapped on the end. The two pipes are never to JOIN TOGETHER. He can cool off the units that rely on the one hot water tank.. Ask the LL. Ask the LL. It is an apartment. It is NOT WEATHER RELATED.

Most electric tanks have two heating elements - maybe 1 has failed. Modern tanks are so well insulated that you can have warm water for days after the tank stops heating at all (depending on how big the tank is and how much hot water you use).

That's all we can say since we don't know how big the tank is, how old, what kind, how insulated, shared with neighbors, heated by central building source etc etc etc

• Earleen
      4 weeks agoReport

And check to see that the circuit breaker is on.   And some heaters are on a switch, like at a weekend place, to be easy to shut off.   So check the switch. People do tend to forget what it is and flip it to see if it works.  

'like' luke warm?

'like' Hot? How can something be 'LIKE' hot?

• Matthew4 weeks agoReport

You didn’t have a single complaint about the fact that without punctuation I used all caps to describe hot right next to hot but you’re picking at the fact I used like to describe something? People confuse me

We don't know what heating system you have, but you can sometimes detect as difference if the incoming water becomes colder.  Not always, it depends on how good the water heater is. Or it may be an element going bad.  I'd agree, it would be a good idea to chat to the neighbors, see if they've noticed anything.

• I’m not sure, but it’s something that you should ask your landlord. It’s getting colder but we haven’t even hit December yet. Sometimes water gets warm and then hot, have you left it on long enough? Contact your super and maybe ask you’re neighbors if they are having the same issue good luck

Check your water tank.