Has anyone ever gone from not being religious to studying all the major religions to deciding on one as being true? How?

I want to know how someone approaches religion as an outsider, tries to study as many of them as they can, and then decides, Yep! This one's the real one!

Favorite Answer

This is something I put some thought into. Observation reveals to me that those people need a personal experience. It can't be just vigorous study and it definitely is almost never some random person witnessing their own experiences.

An example is Francis Collins (human genome project), whose wiki blurb nearly follows the trajectory of your question:

"By graduate school Collins considered himself an atheist. However, a conversation with a hospital patient led him to question his lack of religious views, and he investigated various faiths. He familiarized himself with the evidence for and against God in cosmology, and on the recommendation of a Methodist minister used Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis as a foundation to develop his religious views. He eventually came to a conclusion and became a Christian after a "leap of faith" when he saw a frozen waterfall during a hike on a fall afternoon.[77] He has described himself as a "serious Christian".[28] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins#View...

• Rufus T. Firefly

It's true MOST of the time. And without knowing anything about your situation (it could have taken one comment to tell us) I"m going to assume this includes you, too. Born in the west? It applies to you. Born in the east? Maybe still applies to you if there is a Christian community near you.

• Doug

You do it because God leads you to do it. That's how my website got established.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org

i think mostly all religions can improve character

• Archer

Those who know of many religions or all are Atheists for none of the gods have actually existed.

Seeking and studying "all the major religions" is not how a person comes to have a relationship with God. In fact, no one seeks after God, but God draws each person to Himself. The problem arises when a person rejects God's attempts to bring that person to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

I would say this happens with Buddhism a fair bit. My brother did something like that.

Many people, no doubt. However, religions are man made and lbased mainly on greed and the need that many men seem to want which is to have power over women. All are based on spirituality, however, and hopefully one day we shall be there again .

• Terry

Yes. I did that. I found that with most religions it didn't take to long to see through the hypocrisy. When I actually found the truth I resisted it for a long time, researching even deeper to attempt to reveal an inconsistency that wasn't there. When I finally came to the conclusion that Yep! This one's the real one! I continued reading, researching, and studying. Over the last many decades, that effort has only served to strengthen my conviction that indeed, I have found the truth. My best advice to you - start with the real one and you won't have to waste your time with the others. These days, with jw.org available on the internet, it's far easier!

Is There One True Religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g200803/Is...

• El Nerdo Loco

"Start with the real one and you won't have to waste your time on the others" is kind of the exact opposite of the spirit I'm hoping for answers in.

• Bill-M

Not to my knowledge. I have been studying all the religions and I am still looking for one that does not discriminate against Women.

most people who finished college.