Should I close the AC vents if the AC isnt being used? ?

Theres 4 window AC units 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Usually the AC is removed out of the window completely and the windows shut for the cold weather.  You want the heat to stay in the house.

• 4 weeks ago

It is generally best to remove window units during the off season and close the window. There are insulated covers available that will be more effective than closing the vents.

• 4 weeks ago

You should remove the units in the winter. Closing the vents won't do much.

• 4 weeks ago

Don't know your units, don't know your climate. When we lived in a very cold climate, for winter we removed the window units when possible. Those we couldn't easily remove: we bought covers for both the outside and inside to eliminate cold drafts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

CAN you close them? In my experience window units don't have vents that close, only that can be steered to direct air around the room.

The indoor and outdoor portions of your window units don't open onto each other, unless they specifically state an outdoor or fresh air feature. If you have that, close that.

For wintertime, remove the units from the windows and store them until you need them again.

• 4 weeks ago

At a minimum you should do that.  A step further would be to cover either the inside or the outside of the unit with plastic.  Best option is removing them but I understand that's not always feasible. 

• Marko
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

You can close the vents on the window units, yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.