Is it wrong of to hide the story of how we met (me & my wife)?

People always ask and I always just play it off because I feel like people would judge.

There was a smoke shop I used to go to. One time I was making out with my friend's girlfriend at that cigar bar... she had broken up with my friend for the 10th time. I liked her and wanted to sleep with her for a while. So when this girl came onto me after a few whiskies I didn't stop her.

The waitress at the cigar bar knew us, all of us friends including this girl and her boyfriend so when she saw her making out with me she knew it was wrong and what was what. She gave me a really hateful look and it resonated with me so much so that I stopped. She was hard working and thats all I knew of her. I had never spoken much to her even though we frequented that bar. I felt so bad that I told my friends girlfriend to just go home. Later I tipped the waitress $40, all I had... out of guilt. That made her day because she hugged me and told me it was actually the biggest single tip she'd ever gotten. She then added me on facebook and we started commenting on each other's posts etc. Then one time I had too much to drink at the cigar bar and the waitress helped me get a cab, not just but also got me home. One year later, we were married.

I no longer hungout with those friends and I never tell anyone how me and my wife actually met. I feel like all my friends are power couples where one is lawyer and the other engineer. I feel kinda ashamed. Am I wrong to make my wife hide our real story

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

Ugh, nobody wants that kind of detail in a 'how we met' story anyway. Just say she was a server who helped you get a cab one night after you'd had too much to drink.

• mmm

telling your friends you left a $40 tip and you became facebook friends is nothing to be ashamed of - leaving out the part of what you were doing prior to that would be a good idea

• Linda

I think you're wrong to make her completely hide it. I can understand why you would not want everything revealed, but can't you just say we met at a bar without going into details and leave it at that?

• John

The story:

She was a waitress at the bar, I was a regular there. One night I gave her a huge tip so she added me on facebook. The rest is history, really

See how you just leave out all the unethical parts?

Somewhere in the midst of your ugly story is a simple and somewhat sweet one. Leave off the rest. Keep it simple.

The "I was a man whore trolling the bars for an easy lay" could suffice or you could just say she rescued you one night and stayed on your mind and in your heart ever since.

"Hiding" your "real story"? Eh? Her version of your "real story" might be different than the one you tell anyway!

no , it is your private life , protect it the way you want

Hide what story? That you met your wife while she was a waitress at a cigar bar? Nothing wrong with that, just don't add those extra details. Seems easy enough.

I Don't think it is wrong to hide the story of how we met. As every couple has a perfect and extraordinary story of their meet.