What is supposed to be so charming about those fat, bloated cars of the 1950's?

these autos were planned by the prewar executives[whose learning picked up immensely during the war], and worked by the returning war veterans, subsequently every part could be modified yes even fuel siphons and voltage controllers, as work was moderately reasonable. the general nature of the gleaming odds and ends were held to a better quality, genuine people painted the vehicles, and when all is said in done these autos mirrored the post war we can't take the blame no matter what

mentality of being certain about ourselves. an extravagance we can never again bear the cost of ourselves today.

indeed, even models that rusted or motors that spilled or fabricates that joined all had autos and trucks that were and still are alluring.

these cars were designed by the prewar executives[whose knowledge gained tremendously during the war], and built by the returning war veterans, therefore every part could be rebuilt yes even fuel pumps and voltage regulators, as labor was relatively inexpensive. the general quality of the shiny bits and pieces were held to a higher standard, real humans painted the vehicles, and in general these cars reflected the post war we can do no wrong

attitude of being sure of ourselves. a luxury we can no longer afford ourselves today.

even models that rusted or engines that leaked or manufactures that combined all had cars and trucks that were and still are desirable.

• zipper

The room and the ride, they were a thing of beauty at that time and in my book still are! That is why I drive an SUV, the only close to the ride a heavy Chevy, Ford or Chrysler gave you!

• Score a ride in a 1958 Cadillac ElDorado Biarritz Convertible and see if the owner will let you drive it.

That big old 365 cu in will push you back in the seat despite the weight of the car. And it's a heavy sonovabitch.

You have never been in one. I had a 1959 Buick Electra that was Black and a ton of Chrome.  Electric everything. A real cruiser.

Cadillac's were even more decked out.

A Luxury yacht compared to the kayaks or canoes you got now. 

You are not looking hard enough. Today's cars are still bloated and oddly shaped, such as the Cube.

Bloating is happening again as engine size increases again due to public demand.

I like old cars because I can do any modification I choose. I can change the engine or anything else, no problem.. Second, When I pull into a gas station and people gather around to admire my car and ask questions, I enjoy that.

First off, park any modern CUV or SUV (of which there are millions on the road toay) next to a "bloated" 50's car then say which one look bigger side-by-side... you'll be surprised by what you see if you assume cars from the 50's were huge.

Cars from the 50's were about "style" above almost all else. That is in stark contrast to cars built in at least the last 30 years and it's also why (in my opinion) 50's cars are still considered "charming" by many people even today.

In the 50's, there weren't giant accounting departments given the power to strip down and gut every design just to save a few dollars per unit produced. As a result, production cars from the 50's were often much more similar to (or even wilder than..) prototype designs previewed at auto shows. In the 50's they actually built cars with wild styling (both exterior and interior) even though it cost MORE to do it and probably resulted in less profit-per-unit sold, all in an effort to attract buyers and to ultimately sell more cars in total to make up the difference in profit-per-unit margins. That is 180 degrees off from the business model today.

50's cars do drive poorly relative to cars of today in terms of handling, acceleration, fuel efficiency etc., and safety in 50's cars is utterly abysmal compared to cars built in the last 20-30+ years... but the concern in the 1950s wasn't about how well a car could drive when pushed hard, how safe it would be if crashed, or about maximizing fuel economy to have an EPA rating to put on a sales sticker - 50's cars were about looking good, about being smooth when cruising around, and about the customer feeling like they owned something special because they knew what they were buying wasn't simply "built to a price" where corners were cut on every tiny detail imaginable just so a manufacturer can make a few more dollars per unit sold.

When you sit in and drive a 59 Caddy you will understand

They rode smoothly, had room for large families, and had enough trunk space for luggage. Plus, those "bloated" cars were safer in an accident than the tiny cars that followed in the 60's and 70's.

• Dimo

Huh? Fat bloated car? Dad's first new car was a '53 Plymouth.

10 years later my first car was an old Dodge.

Compare full size sedans -- 1953 and 2019:

1953 Dodge

Length 202"

Width 74"

3.9 liter V8

3390 lbs curb

2019 Chevrolet Impala

Length 201"

Width 73"

3.6 liter V6

3,662 to 3,867 lbs curb

My old Dodge was an inch longer, an inch wider, an engine 10% bigger, 10% lighter!

The cars in the '50's were * NOT * bloated.

Charming? More room, more comfort. Sat into the car instead of crawling down on the 2019.