Why was Ablson double dipping on King David family tree ?

2Samuel 16:22

NIV:

Absalom said to Ahithophel, “Give us your advice. What should we do?”

21Ahithophel answered, “Sleep with your father’s concubines whom he left to take care of the palace. Then all

Israel will hear that you have made yourself obnoxious to your father, and the hands of everyone with you will be

more resolute.” 22So they pitched a tent for Absalom on the roof, and he slept with his father’s concubines in the

sight of all Israel.

23Now in those days the advice Ahithophel gave was like that of one who inquires of God. That was how both

David and Absalom regarded all of Ahithophel’s advice.

King James:

20Then said Absalom to Ahithophel, Give counsel among you what we shall do. 21And Ahithophel said unto

Absalom, Go in unto thy father's concubines, which he hath left to keep the house; and all Israel shall hear that

thou art abhorred of thy father: then shall the hands of all that are with thee be strong. 22So they spread Absalom a

tent upon the top of the house; and Absalom went in unto his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel. 23And

the counsel of Ahithophel, which he counselled in those days, was as if a man had inquired at the oracle of God: so

was all the counsel of Ahithophel both with David and with Absalom.

***************8_____*************

(I got these off of biblehub)

Okay, I think what we've got here is that Absalom was staging a revolt against King David. It was a power play. I can take away you harem! (usurp David) He did it because Ahithophel said to do it. I gathered from reading it just now that it would split the kingdom, that it would be big and showy and make people say, what's going on?

Others would say don't you know his father hates his guts? Oh, man! that sucks well I'm with him! they'd be with him even more strongly, and it was supposed to be like that, but it didn't work out that way. Turns out, Absalom was a real hunk, and a hunter outdoorsy type, a real man's man. David loved him, and it sounds like the whole thing was an incredible screw-up.