how do you determine the size of a wrench to use on a nut or bolt.?

• Ron
    Best Answer

I look at the bolt, I make a guess as to what size a wrench I need. The more you do it the easier it is to pick the right one.

• hart

take a caliper and you will know

people with experience know the bolt size by looking at it. Sometimes those metric sizes can throw you off, but usually you're right.

• don r

Look at the not and mentally estimate the size, then try wrenches that might fit. Use the one with the best fit. I have a small caliper I measure things with and that helps as well.

You see if the wrench or socket fits the damn bolt jojo.

• Scott

Experience over time.

after a while you just know. It also helps to know what type of bolts your car has,eg metric, Whitworth, UNF BSF etc etc

• not

You put in the time, experience. There are some cheats: for example Honda is mostly 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17. You can tell those apart pretty easily. Bring the other sizes to the party and you'll be fumbling around. GM prefers 13 and 15 not 12 or 14. Recognize the pattern of using favorite sizes.

• M.
      1 month agoReport

A few months later they sent me a few socket and wrench sets to test and report about. Then they produced them! Lol.

Trial and error

• Cap'n. America
      1 month agoReport

Trial and error can round off head bolts. Only be flippant when fixing a barn door.

If you have a manual or shop book it will have information on how to repair things and the sizes of the bolts and everything, but most regular folk don't have access to that, so you just try and see which one fits, you have to make sure it fits nice and isn't lose because one size higher could still fit but it isn't the right size and you don't want that.