Aj asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Is an attorney necessary for child support?

If my daughter's dad stated he was not going to be in her life at all nor will he help me financially anymore, iis an attorney necessary? I know I can go to the child support office and start a case. I just don't know if I should pay for an attorney or go straight through child support. I really don't know the difference on what an attorney can do or if they do more...

An attorney would be wise, but not required.

It depends. Some people in some states can manage filing and following through to receive it. Others are hopeless. Some are okay to start but run into difficulty. Not knowing the law could halt your case completely or even get it dismissed. If money is tight, why don't you start the process yourself and see how it goes. If you get stuck or something goes wrong, consult a lawyer promptly.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

You can talk to State employees for free. They can give you advice, a chair, a form. Advice.

An attorney is not necessary for child support.