Is it possible to back up virtual machines in the cloud?

Hello. I am currently planning to buy the necessary components to build my dream throwback laptop computer. For starters, it will have 4GB of RAM. The main OS (in terms of what will be installed on the laptop's 80GB internal hard drive) will be Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit with Service Pack 1 at minimum. Of course the computer will by no means whatsoever be running this the majority of the time I use it! On a 750GB external hard drive that apparently runs FAT32, which I am of course going to partition appropriately beforehand, I will be running the following:

The same OS as is installed on the laptop's hard drive, but the VM's virtual hard drive will be 128GB, and I will allocate 128GB of RAM to that VM;

On a 500GB partition I will install a virtual machine running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, to which I will allocate 1GB of RAM;

and, lastly, on a 128GB partition I will install the final virtual machine running Windows 98 Second Edition, to which I will allocate 512MB of RAM.

With all of that being explained, my question regarding it all is, being that all of that would be stored on separate partitions of an external hard drive, would it then be possible for me to back it all up on my iCloud account (assuming, of course, that I have enough space, and if I don't, I'm not worried - I can certainly purchase more if necessary!)?

Best Answer

It is possible however it will backup the machine itself and the configuration. You can then restore or move it to another system and run it with the same VM software.

• Fulano

The VM's data is going to be stored in a file or folder somewhere, depending on which VM you're using. Those are the files that you'll need to backup.