Matt
Matt asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Personality changes after neutering a matured English Labrador?

I'm getting my 4 year old English Labrador neutered next week and am worried about resulting personality changes. I've been researching and there seems to be no real consensus on what can happen to a dogs personality after neutering and I understand it can be subjective based on the dogs upbringing and several other factors. But some say they become more aggressive, some say they become more docile.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this and their dog?

Not going over the reasoning why I waited until 4 years, I have my reasons and besides its not what I'm asking.

Thanks for the help!

Best Answer

Having a dog neutered can indeed change their behavior, although in general, it's often for the better. Know that having waited for 4 years beforehand won't be a problem for the vet. Many vets will happily neuter an adult dog as well as puppies. The only issue is that if an adult female has been in season before, the spaying operation MUST be done right in the middle of two seasons, because the blood supply to the ovaries and uterus is very rich, which can potentially be very dangerous.

Since the body no longer produces the hormones which trigger gamete production, it can help to prevent aggression which is also stimulated by the hormones, especially in male dogs, hence why many dog behaviorists would recommend having male dogs castrated.

As a result of that, it's common for dogs to be calmer, and so easier to control on a walk, and better company for other individuals, particularly around other animals and children as well.

Hope this helps.

There are none. Neutering is not a lobotomy.

Neutering has never caused a dog to be aggressive or cause health issues.

• TK

Research is proving that removing the gonads creates behavioral problems such as aggression and phobias. If you don'r have an intact female dog living in your home, why neuter the male?

MY GOD, you are castrating your dog, because of his reaction TO ONE OTHER DOG - at a DOG PARK??? Are you INSANE?

You are putting your dog under anesthesia, & there is always risk. Some dogs can & do DIE (on occasion) from that. There are a number of HIGHER health risks from neutering (after the fact) than staying intact. It is vets (padding their wallet) & PETA (who do not want any dogs ever being bred) - who tell you otherwise.

https://www.champdogs.co.uk/blog/pros-and-cons-of-...

Simply =>GO to the park at a DIFFERENT TIME from the other dog, or FIND a new place to exercise your dog.

• Matt
      4 weeks agoReport

When I say he fixates on one dog, I meant each park visit he fixates on one dog, its sometimes the same dog and sometimes a different dog. But he will follow that dog and mount it whenever he gets a chance.

• Jojo

`Personality` is defined by genetics and genetics cannot be altered.

So this will not be changed by castration.

At 4 years old your dogs habits are learned and ingrained and will not be erased by castration, but it `may` lessen his desire to mount other dogs, but even that is not 100% guaranteed.

Some (not all) dominant natured dogs, castrated or not, will very often want to show their dominance by mounting another more submissive natured dog, and as this is a learned behaviour in adult dogs, and ingrained in the dogs brain, castration may not stop it happening.

I very much doubt its a sexual thing with your dog, as he would be humping other things (peoples legs, cushions, etc), besides other dogs on a regular basis.

But you won`t know if castration works for your dog unless you try it and maybe a chemical castration would be the best option to try first. JMO.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

People say their males temperament /personality didn't change, but then go on to say castration made them more bidable!! Is it one, or the other? I can only speak from personal experience but we had to have a couple of oldies castrated in old age because of medical problems and I bitterly regretted having it done. Whether castration doesn't 'suit' my mild breed I don't know but both went very 'soft' - lost any previous zip they had - tended to put on weight and grew heavier coats. So what breed is your dog?

I too wonder why you waited but as you point out, that's not my business. Just to say any surgery has risks (anaesthetic) and involves recovery even if it's routine.

As castration basically means removing testosterone, a male should become more docile, not more aggressive. It's the opposite with spayed bitches where the female hormones are altered.

Just know that castration won't cure behavioural problems - only the ability to sire unwanted puppies which shouldn't happen if the dog is properly contained in any case. And in that, even castrated males have been known to mount and even tie with a b itch in standing heat. A castrated male may appear to be more aggressive as entire males may well pick on him, so he feels the need to defend himself - attack being the best form of defence.

I'd not rush into having this surgery done, other than for medical need.

You don't have to justify why you've waited until he is four years old, but what I would ask is why are you having it done now. Unless you are bringing in an entire female and will find it difficult to keep them apart, or if he has a medical issue where maybe prostrate is suspected or even a temperament issue then I would be leaving him as he is.

Having said that, usually being castrated at this age doesn't make a lot of difference to MOST dogs. It can calm them down but in the odd cases, yes, it can make them more aggressive as some of their confidence goes along with the testosterone. (The reason why you should never neuter a nervous dog). I am dealing with one dog at the moment who has become more aggressive since castration but it is rare.

If you are really concerned and it isn't for necessary medical reasons then maybe try a chemical castrate first.

ADD.. just read your comment to As Mad and yes I think castration with help with dominant mounting of other dogs.

• Star_of_Darkness
      4 weeks agoReport

There was NO need to wait four years. Early neutering has no proven ill effects

I've known one dog who was neutered at 15. No changes noted. I have known another who was neutered at 7. He got a little less excitable when he saw other dogs when he was being walked. Otherwise, no change.

Animals tend to be most excitable when they're seeking mates. Being neutered will reduce that drive. On the other hand, neutering the dog so late may not "fix" behavioral problems that have been firmly established (if there are any).

I've never heard of a dog becoming more aggressive after being neutered.

• Lorraine
      1 month agoReport

Wish I'd read this comment before my reply, as do think castration will help with that.