lila asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 4 weeks ago

What actually kills you when you are eaten alive? ?

People are usually just reported as “eaten alive” but I’m wondering what actually kills you during that process. Shock? Blood loss? Some sort of cardiac event? Not really willing to throw myself to the lions for an answer on this one but I’m genuinely curious because I’ve googled around and haven’t found anything helpful. 

the answer I read somewhere is bacteria

When they put pepper in ur eyes before getting eaten alive

Depends on what's eaten first. A bite to the head would kill someone quick. A ripping open of the torso won't do much except put the person in shock then death from blood loss provided the liver or heart was not removed. A bite to the back of the neck won't kill someone unless the spine is severed from shaking or canines completely disengaging the vertebrae joints.

• MARK

I am sure that with a little thought you work out the answer for yourself.

To a certain extent it may depend on the species that attacks you. For example, if a crocodile were to attack you a highly probable cause of death would be drowning. Crocodiles do not eat their prey alive but drown it first. You could possibly die from severe blood loss if an animal were to maul you rather than kill you outright.

The expression 'eaten alive' is probably more about the media being able to write headlines than fact. When the majority of animals attack they attempt to kill quickly to subdue what they have attacked so it does not fight back.

There is a possibility wolves would eat you alive. Because they hunt in packs they gradually pursue their prey over a long period of time until it collapses from exhaustion. They then proceed to rip out its abdomen without killing it first. That would cause death by blood loss. Of course, it is not very likely a human would get themself into this position.

• lila3 weeks agoReport

I’m soz mark I’m an airhead can’t afford thought

trauma causing blood loss is the ultimate death unless vital organs are damaged, in which case it is the destruction of the vital organ which causes the death. So, it sort of depends on if the animal rips you limb from limb or tears into your brain or abdomen. Suffocation is also a possibility, and that can happen a number of ways (like drowning in your own blood or simply losing the ability to use the lungs). Typically, eaten is not happening while alive, for the most part. the early eating kills so later eating is of a carcass.

Sorry, you're not going to like my answer.

Your question caught my attention because I was being eaten alive - by guilt. An 'internal' slow death... the worm that would not die. OH... I remember the torture well.

Outwardly I looked fine.

Outwardly I pretended to be fine.

Inwardly I was terrified an angry mob would show up at my doorstep with torches and pitchforks...

If they had found me and tortured me to death, justice would have been served: they would have been right.

I don't know what internal battles are going on in you... but if you come to that point when you feel like your guilt is eating you alive, I pray you seek out Jesus and invite Him in. He's the only one who can wash all that dark stuff away. INSTANTLY He'll give you a shiny new life and a new heart.

No matter what you think about God at this time - likely indifference - there will come a time when that will change.

I'm begging you to carefully consider this: you can't afford to be wrong about your Maker.

As far as the answer to your question goes...

I would say that what kills a person in most cases is the lack of the will to live... and the loss of all hope. They 'let go' and choose death.

Don't be like them.

• Zirp

Depends on what is eating you. If it has teeth you would be shred to pieces. If it doesn't your body would dissolve slowly

Okay, here we go. Most likely answer: Blood loss. Unless someone is actively cauterizing your wounds and/or giving you a blood transfusion.

And luckily, if you were being eaten alive, you wouldn't be completely aware of it. The shock of being eaten alive would probably be enough to knock you out, or cause you disassociate and remove yourself completely from the situation, (You would be able to process any of your senses and your pain receptors would be completely fried.) Your adrenaline might keep you up for a while, but if you are loosing blood quickly you only have a few minutes of consciousness before you conk out.

Brain damage.......

• Brian

Yes, it could be any of those reason or a combination of any of those.