Anonymous

why do white people act this way?

I work in midtown manhattan nyc and I see a lot of white people on a daily basis. Many are professionally dressed, very polished looking. However one thing I ve noticed about them is that they give off ridiculously closed off vibe, avoids eye contact like the plague, act like nobody is ever around them. This is true particularly for the men in suits. Even while standing on the subways, they always have their phones out as if they always need to be constantly distracted from acknowledging the world around them.  Ive been there so long, I think there were just 3 times that any of them made eye contact with me. I just find it unusual because other races do not seem to be this way. 

Has any one else ever noticed this? Is this a cultural thing?

Every time I try to make eye contact with them, their eyes dodge away like I'm unfit to be acknowledged. Could this be a racial issue?

A lôť of us modern day folks no mattr

our skin tone or apparn race suffer frm

some frm of social anxity sad to say :(

i think its a city thing, because when i used to live in london literally everyone acts like that

If you'll notice, when "the men in suits" are not white, they act almost exactly the same way as the white guys do. The only difference is that "men in suits" who are not white might show some hint of recognition to someone else who appears to be of the same non-white ethnicity as they are...just a slight nod or a surrender-of-scowl for a moment...but that's about it. (White "men in suits" don't do that because they don't think of other white people as sharing an ethnic identity with them.)

In general, all people in big, Western cities avoid doing anything that could be construed as an invitation to anyone on the street or on the train, because they believe such an interaction could only result in trouble - that the person will beg or pick their pocket or offer them sex or drugs, or follow them and assault them. Such things are not unusual in big cities.

"Even while standing on the subways, they always have their phones out as if they always need to be constantly distracted from acknowledging the world around them." - Uh this is most people in any major city. Nobody in NY would expect a conversation with strangers on the subway. This expectation of yours sounds suspicously suburban. I think YOU need to adjust YOUR expecations of others while living in a major urban area.

I agree people who are obviously American/Western but won't look you in the eye are rude, because we consider it a sign of rudeness. The only exception I would give to this is for east Asians because in their culture it's the opposite.

Racist white people have an instant, almost innate negative reactions and dislike when they detect that they are interacting with a non-white person. It's almost like an evolutionary trait. Most non-white people don't have that. Not all white people are racist though :)

• Wayne3 weeks agoReport

This comment come either from a clueless person or a troll. So you know automatically what people think and feel? Why don't you set up an experiment and bring some data to support your assertion. You can stop the hate in your heart too.

• Mike

Why do you care?

• Ramona

It's a city thing. I live in Boston and people are like that as well. People have learned to close off so as to protect themselves and to not interact. Usually when people interact it's to ask for something like money or a cigarette or what time is it. No one wants to interact with strangers. Those who don't care about any of that just do it because its the way of life in the city, everyone is like that and no one wants to look odd, so they do what others do. I don't think it's just white people.

there's a lot of racism still inherent in US culture, and this could partially account for why they don't make eye contact with you if you're not white. But it's also a phenomenon of the modern world, to be permanently distracted by iphones to the detriment of conversation. It not peculiar to white people, just to western capitalist cities. if you go to rural ireland or rural australia you will have a different experience

• Wayne3 weeks agoReport

They don't look at me either. The women turn their heads and smirk. The men just go their own ways. What is one supposed to do, say "hi, ya'll" to everyone who comes along? The OP is closed-minded, simple.

Rule #1 in NYC is Never Make Eye Contact.

Source(s): I thought everyone who works in Manhattan knew this already.