Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

If you had the ability to offer housing, would you let a close family member or close friend remain homeless?

• G R

Depends why they are homeless, are addicts/alcoholics and what your relationship is like with them.... offering your home as a place to stay won't necessarily help them or the situation, could make things worse for both of you. If i didn't offer them my home to stay at, i would make an attempt to find them lodging... assuming they want the help and are willing and able to help themselves.

Depends on the circumstances... why were they homeless? Did they decide not to pay their rent? Did they trash the place? Did they use it as a drugs den ?

Family / friends can often abuse a situation .... oh my sister won't evict me even I don't pay rent for months... My dad won't ask me to leave even if all the neighbours constantly complain about me....

So yes, possibly I would, it would depend on circumstances

No, I wouldn't.

I have housed a number of family members/close friends over the years. My rule is that they pay no rent but can only stay for 12 months. I have found that time frame works really well if everyone knows the rule from the start because the idea is that it is to get them back onto their feet.

I have found that longer than 12 months, the free accommodation starts to become destructive. If they are not on their feet in a year, a different solution is needed. By letting the situation continue, you are just being an enabler.

• Maxi

You mean am I a rescurer... the answer is yes I am and yet I would not rent or open my house to family/friends as family/friends assume they have more 'rights' and in the end rescurers are always thought of as the persecutor ...that is just the classic 'drama triangle' waiting to happen...

Being homeless is THEIR choice. I would never feel guilty if they chose to live on the streets, or if they had to because they were not hireable, due to their own behavior. I might be more lax about qualifying but they would have to pay the rent, just like everybody else. Landlords have mortgages and bills to pay too. If it was a very unfortunate circumstance that caused a sibling to be homeless, I'd invite him or her to come and live with me, with spouses.

When I had a house with extra space I had let both family and friends (of friends) stay with my while they got back on their feet.

I now live in a small house, in the middle of the woods. I wouldn't be automatically opposed to helping, but the isolation might hamper their ability to recover.

Edit: As an after thought I expanded my consideration of "ability". I also have had financial ability to pay 10 days rent at a motel for a displaced young family (that I didn't know) struggling to survive. Baby, lost job, couldn't pay rent, then some unfortunate bad choices, relocated on promise of job and housing, job fell through causing housing to fall through, car broke down. Young man had a job offer, but wouldn't leave baby and mother alone in a park while working. The couple openly disclosed contacts to clergy to verify much of the story. But I also didn't help when I was working at a food bank I met a mother and adult daughter with some disabilities living in a car, they had a ridiculous plan about getting a lawyer to "fix" credit, buying a motorhome to live in. Didn't think that was a plan for success. Gave them a phone number for ministry that could help them with plan for success, who could contact me to help with shelter when on a path to succeed. I wasn't going to fuel a misguided dream.

I had a friend move in with me when I had free 2 bedroom apt through my job. Unfortunately I had to change jobs & only have a 1 bed now. If this job came with a 2 bed she would still be living with me.

If that ability to offer housing was in the form of a rental then no. Renting is a business not a charity. People buy rentals to make money not to house their friends & family.

depends on who they were, right now i cant take anyone in cause im in hud housing and we're not allowed to

Sure ...assuming you mean close by blood and not by relationship.